Work wants me to change where I sit

My workplace is trying to be really accommodating to my disabilities. I have seizures, hearing loss and some joint issues (yes I won the genetic lottery). Our office usually hot desks which means we can sit anywhere we like however, HR has recommended I get an assigned desk set up for me only. 

The problem is I've been working at this company for a year already and have my seat. I always sit there. People will literally move when I come in to the office (I work out off the office sometimes visiting other sites). It's my seat. My manager was being really supportive but just didn't get it. He thinks that it's "only one move" and "the new seat will become your seat".

I don't want to move. The idea stresses me out. Currently, I set up on a picnic table where I can spread all my stuff out, there aren't loads of people around me, but if people do need to talk to me I can see them coming, there's a lot of open space if I do have a fit, and to be frank I've been there a year. I don't want to change now. The idea of it is stressing me out but I promised I'd think about it. 

It feels silly to be almost crying over a seat, but I don't understand how to communicate that I don't want to move. I've said it directly and indirectly, including the words "I am autistic, change is hard, I don't feel comfortable moving". 

Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with the move I don't want?

Parents
  • It feels silly to be almost crying over a seat, but I don't understand how to communicate that I don't want to move.

You acknowledge it is silly, this is a good start.

I don't feel comfortable moving". 

If the company moved your department to a new floor or different building then you would have no choice but to change, so treat it like this - it is something where there is no option for the old seat so you have no choice.

I assume you have spoken to HR to impress upon your bosses that the old seat is REALLY important to you, but if they are adamant that it is no longer available then you have no choice. The change is inevitable.

I would recommend you focus on working on making the new seat as optimal as is possible given the new circumstances. Think of the old seat as dead - no going back so plant your flag and make the new one your castle.

You already know the fight is silly so don't waste an iota of energy on it - focus it all on the new normal. Build the familiar environment, your fortress of solitude, the bastion of Sybil and never look back.

Also remember to tell your management that you have settled into the new desk (when you have) and remind them that if they try to move you again you may have to break into their house at night and steal one of each of their pairs of socks! That will make them think twice. Slight smile

• It feels silly to be almost crying over a seat, but I don't understand how to communicate that I don't want to move.

You acknowledge it is silly, this is a good start.

I don't feel comfortable moving". 

If the company moved your department to a new floor or different building then you would have no choice but to change, so treat it like this - it is something where there is no option for the old seat so you have no choice.

I assume you have spoken to HR to impress upon your bosses that the old seat is REALLY important to you, but if they are adamant that it is no longer available then you have no choice. The change is inevitable.

I would recommend you focus on working on making the new seat as optimal as is possible given the new circumstances. Think of the old seat as dead - no going back so plant your flag and make the new one your castle.

You already know the fight is silly so don't waste an iota of energy on it - focus it all on the new normal. Build the familiar environment, your fortress of solitude, the bastion of Sybil and never look back.

Also remember to tell your management that you have settled into the new desk (when you have) and remind them that if they try to move you again you may have to break into their house at night and steal one of each of their pairs of socks! That will make them think twice. Slight smile

Children
  • Good early morning Iain.

As you will note from my response below, you and i have diametric positions on this matter.

I feel compelled to query your reinforcement of the word "silly" to describe part of my lived autistic reality.

A suitable (or even particular) position, place and surroundings are fundamental prerequisites to enable me to work.  Is that silly?