History of showing Dyscalculia and history of quitting math

I have severe feature of Dyscalculia and some tendencies of Dyslexia.

I failed math most of the school years, but I kept relearning the same early mathematics, but still don't get it. At some point I quit doing math for some time, and felt like, it's pointless, but then I started learning math again, but with some trial and errors, but I passed at the end.

I feel bad for quitting math, because it can seem like I refuse to learn math and making up excuses, but failing early math for most school years is not normal at all, and I am way behind compared to most of my peers.

I started to try to learn math again from scratch, although I am not sure if I will be able to do complex math in the future, but I can try to do complex math in the future.

Parents
  • I did poorly in math growing up, almost failing math a majority of the time. I didn't know until I was an adult that I had dyscalculia, and the tendency to switch numbers around when I read them, and it was very frustrating not being able to see what I did wrong in order to correct it. When I was a kid, I didn't even know I was switching numbers around when I was reading them, I just knew I was doing something wrong, but my eyes and brain couldn't see it, and it was so frustrating knowing there's something wrong but being blind to it. 

I also had math phobia, and also trauma from someone who used to use money as a form of power over me, saying things like because I earned no money, that I'm not important, that I don't matter to anyone, that I'm useless and worthless, and that I'm beneath them. Well, I couldn't earn money yet because I was too young to be working at the time, but they were not the most encouraging person to be around. 

I had to face numbers on a daily basis, and that magnified the terror I had with numbers. However, I got fed up with it one day, and decided to rework my perceptions of numbers, just so I can actually have freedom in my life, and not have a panic attack every day. 

I realized that there are some logical problems I could figure out, but I had issues with basic arithmetic. I thought, well, if the math methods in my school system didn't work for me, I wonder if there's other methods of math from other countries that would work better, and I learned the abacus and vedic math. Then I just started learning math from the very beginning, and building up my knowledge from there. Nowadays I can do mental math, something that I never thought I would be able to do in my lifetime. 

I've still been learning math on and off over time. I hope to learn complex math one day too. I hope you keep trying to learn math, just so you have that knowledge and confidence within you. If you give your brain enough time with anything, it'll eventually learn it. 

• I did poorly in math growing up, almost failing math a majority of the time. I didn't know until I was an adult that I had dyscalculia, and the tendency to switch numbers around when I read them, and it was very frustrating not being able to see what I did wrong in order to correct it. When I was a kid, I didn't even know I was switching numbers around when I was reading them, I just knew I was doing something wrong, but my eyes and brain couldn't see it, and it was so frustrating knowing there's something wrong but being blind to it. 

I also had math phobia, and also trauma from someone who used to use money as a form of power over me, saying things like because I earned no money, that I'm not important, that I don't matter to anyone, that I'm useless and worthless, and that I'm beneath them. Well, I couldn't earn money yet because I was too young to be working at the time, but they were not the most encouraging person to be around. 

I had to face numbers on a daily basis, and that magnified the terror I had with numbers. However, I got fed up with it one day, and decided to rework my perceptions of numbers, just so I can actually have freedom in my life, and not have a panic attack every day. 

I realized that there are some logical problems I could figure out, but I had issues with basic arithmetic. I thought, well, if the math methods in my school system didn't work for me, I wonder if there's other methods of math from other countries that would work better, and I learned the abacus and vedic math. Then I just started learning math from the very beginning, and building up my knowledge from there. Nowadays I can do mental math, something that I never thought I would be able to do in my lifetime. 

I've still been learning math on and off over time. I hope to learn complex math one day too. I hope you keep trying to learn math, just so you have that knowledge and confidence within you. If you give your brain enough time with anything, it'll eventually learn it. 

Children
No Data