Washing - why so hard?

This is quite embarrassing to write but I'm going to do it anyway. Okay - this might just be a 'me' thing - if that's the case please just ignore this post but: 

Why is getting washed and/or clean so hard?

I don't know if it is an autistic thing but getting in the shower/changing clothes/changing bedding and doing laundry is so hard for me. I am an independent adult I should be able to function better. :( 

I just had a shower and washed my hair for the first time in X weeks (too ashamed to say). I feel better now and I smell nice, so why don't I manage to do it more often? 

I live alone and rarely go out or see people, so my lack of washing isn't bothering anyone. I wanted to ask my weekly cleaner to help me change my sheets but I am too ashamed for her to see the state of my bed so its something I will have to tackle alone. 

Anyway, if anyone can relate please comment below, or if you just want to tell me I'm being a big baby that's also fine.

Parents
  • I relate to your comments very well. I can see no logical reason why we 'should' follow societal norms for the frequency of washing/laundry/changing bedding etc. If what works for you isn't bothering anyone then there is no need for you to feel you need to function better.

For me it is largely sensory in nature. I cannot tolerate showers and absolutely hate the sensation of water falling on my skin and the temperature changes that involves. When I wash my hair it has to dry naturally as I cannot tolerate the noise or sensation of a hairdryer.

I can tolerate a bath and quite enjoy that. However I see no reason to have one any more often than once a week in summer and usually less frequently in the winter. Like you I live alone and very rarely have any contact with other people. On the rare occasions when I am going somewhere, when I may be in proximity to other people, I make an effort to have a bath the night before. 

If I stay somewhere that only has a shower I'll usually choose to wait until I return home to have a bath Flushed If necessary I wash any areas that need washing using a sink of soapy water and a flannel.

As for laundry it's not uncommon for me to avoid the task until I have absolutely no clean underwear left in the drawer and the wash bin is seriously overflowing! Bedding only gets changed and washed every 6 weeks or so.

• I relate to your comments very well. I can see no logical reason why we 'should' follow societal norms for the frequency of washing/laundry/changing bedding etc. If what works for you isn't bothering anyone then there is no need for you to feel you need to function better.

For me it is largely sensory in nature. I cannot tolerate showers and absolutely hate the sensation of water falling on my skin and the temperature changes that involves. When I wash my hair it has to dry naturally as I cannot tolerate the noise or sensation of a hairdryer.

I can tolerate a bath and quite enjoy that. However I see no reason to have one any more often than once a week in summer and usually less frequently in the winter. Like you I live alone and very rarely have any contact with other people. On the rare occasions when I am going somewhere, when I may be in proximity to other people, I make an effort to have a bath the night before. 

If I stay somewhere that only has a shower I'll usually choose to wait until I return home to have a bath Flushed If necessary I wash any areas that need washing using a sink of soapy water and a flannel.

As for laundry it's not uncommon for me to avoid the task until I have absolutely no clean underwear left in the drawer and the wash bin is seriously overflowing! Bedding only gets changed and washed every 6 weeks or so.

Children
No Data