Washing - why so hard?

This is quite embarrassing to write but I'm going to do it anyway. Okay - this might just be a 'me' thing - if that's the case please just ignore this post but: 

Why is getting washed and/or clean so hard?

I don't know if it is an autistic thing but getting in the shower/changing clothes/changing bedding and doing laundry is so hard for me. I am an independent adult I should be able to function better. :( 

I just had a shower and washed my hair for the first time in X weeks (too ashamed to say). I feel better now and I smell nice, so why don't I manage to do it more often? 

I live alone and rarely go out or see people, so my lack of washing isn't bothering anyone. I wanted to ask my weekly cleaner to help me change my sheets but I am too ashamed for her to see the state of my bed so its something I will have to tackle alone. 

Anyway, if anyone can relate please comment below, or if you just want to tell me I'm being a big baby that's also fine.

Parents
  • When I came home one day and told my wife that I think I’m autistic, she started to piece things together. First thing was that I have never showered, I find it too much, it’s like acid rain. Walking bare foot was then mentioned to me as an observation that I also never do it, if unavoidable I still walk on tip toe. Sorry going off on a tangent. I bath once a week, the same as childhood. Sometimes I think about washing but then autistic inertia stops me from taking the first step. The autistic inertia problem has controlled my life to quite a large extent.

• Hi Roy. I understand - washing has been an issue for me since becoming a teenager. I think it's wrapped up in a lot of other body issue stuff too. 

I am the opposite with bare feet - I HATE shoes, will be bare foot wherever possible and then in sandals if I can be the rest of the time. Winter is a pain! 

Funny how we're all different :) 

• It’s the reason autism is a massive spectrum, the old adage is, “ when you meet one autistic person, you have only met one autistic person.” We are all uniquely different. Too be honest I’ve never liked washing, you can imagine what school swimming lessons were like, bare feet and being made to put my head underwater. Yuk!

• It’s the reason autism is a massive spectrum, the old adage is, “ when you meet one autistic person, you have only met one autistic person.” We are all uniquely different. Too be honest I’ve never liked washing, you can imagine what school swimming lessons were like, bare feet and being made to put my head underwater. Yuk!

Children
No Data