Am I steange?

Im autistic level 2 and DLD and mild intellectual disability. 

When I get overwhelmed I use different things to regulate. Sitting on the floor rolling a ball against the wall or sitting in the sofa and having a finger in my mouth or using a chewie thing.

I'm not allowed to speak about my disabilities it's family rules. I lived at home until I was 28 years old then in nursing home for 4,5 years. Then alone. But still allowed talk about my problems for my parents. I'm forbidden to play with toys but I so want to. I was not allowed using pacifier after age 12 year old.

I love to play with Lego. I want to go swinging and playing in sand but it's forbidden as adult to do Cry. I love splashing in water with my hands.

I'm bodily function disabled. I can or control my bladder never could in my life. 

Parents say I'm stupid and wrong and not good. I must feel ashamed for all my problems. I trou leave eating correct it's hard getting food in my mouth but manage that but usually cry because my sweater gets dirty. Am I wrong or strange? 

Parents
  • Hello 87721, I am Number.

I love being on a swing.  I do it a lot.

I love playing with Lego.

I'm in my 50'S.......but I am very child-like at heart.

You don't sound wrong.  You don't sound strange.  You sound like you are autistic.....just like me.

I don't like playing in sand pits.....I'm too scared of finding animal poop in it.....although sand can be OK on a beach.

People think I am strange and "a bit wrong" .... but that is because they don't understand.  I don't care.

Keep being you.  Nice to meet you here.

Kind regards

Number.

• I would love having my own sandpit to play in.
    But play in the sand at a beach YES I would love that but never viit a beach too many people there. Wish there was somewhere no one was but hard to find.
    I would love to have more toys but to far my parent taught me its wrong play with toys as adult that is why I do not have much sadly

• I would love having my own sandpit to play in.
    But play in the sand at a beach YES I would love that but never viit a beach too many people there. Wish there was somewhere no one was but hard to find.
    I would love to have more toys but to far my parent taught me its wrong play with toys as adult that is why I do not have much sadly

Children
  • That's very sad your parents seem to be stuck on the idea that people will judge you as lesser and juvenile for playing with toys but really lots of adults autistic or not have games and toys and are still big kids, yes people will judge if they see it but so what, you can't hold back your happiness just because of what someone else doesn't think if suitable for an adult to spend their free time doing. You aren't hurting anyone by playing with toys.
    And miniature railway building is a respectable hobby I don't understand why this would be looked down on as childish in anyway.
    I do not think you are strange at all.

If it is okay to ask how old are you now and are you still living in the nursing home?

• I have so many things to play with that its a bit strange.  I've got loads of stuff..most of it I consider to be toys and useful stuff ... but most of it is considered rubbish or weird to keep.

I think I was quite lucky when I lived at home with my parents because they were a lot like me.  I had very few "toys" that you could buy from a shop....but I was more than welcome to play with the stuff that my parents had found themselves with.

Your parents sound different to you.

Stick around Sebastian, we all try to help each other around here, be better and be happy.