Telling people about my autism

Hi 

I was wondering who do I tell about my autism?  My family and some friends know but I am afraid to tell other friends as I feel I don't need to talk about it all time but I feel some people would understand me better if they knew. Especially because of some my behaviour such as repetition, masking and lack of patience, not being touched   

Rainbowgirl 

Parents
  • I found a few people I thought i could trust, they were great.... but it doesn't seem to change anything! :-)

• Same here - there were a few who knew little about autism so I said "nothing has changed - it just means I know why I behave a bit odd sometimes". I would give them links to read more if they asked but otherwised assumed that they didn't care enough to ask - and that is fine.

There were one or two "office bullies" who mocked me for it until I warned then I would report them for discriminating against a disabled person for their disability - they backed off after that. It is a bit different for friends, but hopefully the better ones will tell them to behave.

The close ones want to know more typically but I kept it high level and emphasised that nothing had really changed so just continue as we were. If they asked again then I would give links to read up on it.

• Same here - there were a few who knew little about autism so I said "nothing has changed - it just means I know why I behave a bit odd sometimes". I would give them links to read more if they asked but otherwised assumed that they didn't care enough to ask - and that is fine.

There were one or two "office bullies" who mocked me for it until I warned then I would report them for discriminating against a disabled person for their disability - they backed off after that. It is a bit different for friends, but hopefully the better ones will tell them to behave.

The close ones want to know more typically but I kept it high level and emphasised that nothing had really changed so just continue as we were. If they asked again then I would give links to read up on it.

Children