Telling people about my autism

Hi 

I was wondering who do I tell about my autism?  My family and some friends know but I am afraid to tell other friends as I feel I don't need to talk about it all time but I feel some people would understand me better if they knew. Especially because of some my behaviour such as repetition, masking and lack of patience, not being touched   

Rainbowgirl 

Parents Reply Children
  • Same here - there were a few who knew little about autism so I said "nothing has changed - it just means I know why I behave a bit odd sometimes". I would give them links to read more if they asked but otherwised assumed that they didn't care enough to ask - and that is fine.

There were one or two "office bullies" who mocked me for it until I warned then I would report them for discriminating against a disabled person for their disability - they backed off after that. It is a bit different for friends, but hopefully the better ones will tell them to behave.

The close ones want to know more typically but I kept it high level and emphasised that nothing had really changed so just continue as we were. If they asked again then I would give links to read up on it.