I'm in an incredibly isolating situation

Over the course of the last two years, I was able to form some friendships through Twitter. Through reaching out to autistic people, I was able to create bonds like I had never had before.

I am an autistic male and I did predominantly reach out to autistic women/femme people. The problem was I did this too much. Unbeknownst to me I was coming on too strong and trying to reach out to too many people.

Last month, some screenshots of conversations were shared publicly. Conversations I'd had with other people. It became a huge Twitter storm for a few days and I lost my entire support network.

I own what I did. Without wanting to use my autism as an excuse, through misreading things the conversations became inappropriate (sexual in nature) and I realise that it was just not appropriate to speak to or about women in that way, regardless of intent.

I did a statement but ultimately I knew I wasn't going to make amends so I came off all social media and basically disappeared. I knew I just needed to work on myself. I have an autistic therapist which is helpful and I have three professional contacts I speak to but very occasionally (once a week if that).

There are some silver linings. My social media usage was incredibly unhealthy anyway - refreshing Twitter basically all day and checking my follow list to see if anyone had blocked me was just wrong. I was beginning to enjoy engaging in the autistic community on Twitter a lot less even before this happened.

I know now to be more of an open book with friends (if I'm ever able to make any). Setting out boundaries, parameters, expectations etc from the off and creating a safe environment for both of us. I used to find friendships stressful because I'd have this small network of people I consider friends and then I'd still be talking to 30 other people on social media. My energy is spread really thinly, it becomes overwhelming and too much for me. I'd want a much smaller, tighter group.

I put pressure on myself to hold friendships together and I was never 100% honest with people as to how I felt about that. Part of creating a safe environment is so both of us can speak to each other without the fear of upsetting the other person, especially if one of us is unhappy with something.

There's other things about the nature of conversations I have. I just need to be careful about what I say in private with anyone. 

I know I need to win back trust, but it'll take time. I also need to trust other people too, because I don't want to feel like every little thing I do and say is going to be blasted online.

So what am I doing now?

There's still an overwhelming fear of being doxxed, so I changed my phone number. I'm taking it on the chin - I've had my punishment and I'm facing the consequences so I could probably punish myself a bit less. 

It has been difficult to see a future. I wanted to channel my experience into something positive, like a guide for Autistic adults. Maybe something like "online etiquette for autistic adults" and "understanding boundaries for autistic men". I don't want this kind of situation to happen to anyone again so I'd want to be part of the solution.

Parents
  • Hears the thing. You say you didn't offer autism as an excuse and I think, respectfully, that was a mistake. You see if I kill a man depending on the excuse I offer in court it might be murder, manslaughter or not guilty. People these days tend to say things like 'there is no excuse for saying something like that,' rather lightly but when you think of it compared to, say, an excuse for killing some one, that's an absurd assertion to make.

In any large community there are always going to be a few people who hate you, who want you gone before you ever did anything you could reasonably be criticised for. If you hold your hands up and say, 'I have no excuse,' then years later if you try to come back and say, 'hey I'm a changed person,' guess what? They will say, 'he had no excuse, he was just an awful person then, so even if he's changed he doesn't deserve to come back.'

I'm going to assume you weren't malicious in any of your actions. That you didn't send any of those messages intending to cause offence or upset. You say its never appropriate to speak to women in a sexual way? In saying that you are essentially saying men shouldn't have sexual relationships with women. Because unless you are such a mind reader that you can know 'yes this women wants to have sex with me now' there is going to have to be some sexual talking at some point. So obviously there are situations where it is appropriate to send women sexual messages. And if your autism caused you to become confused as to what those situations were then yes that is a valid excuse.

Have you ever noticed how those who say, 'I have no excuse,' tend to follow it up with a 'but' and then immediately offer an excuse? It's just a disingenuous way of introducing an excuse. Personally I think if you have an excuse it's better to be direct and open about it. Holding up your hands and saying, 'I have no excuse,' will always be used against you down the line because there are haters and 'haters gona hate.'

Now you may think you were negligent. Maybe you were I don't know. But the difference between wilful killing and negligent killing can be the difference between murder and manslaughter. Also you have to ask by what standard were you negligent? Did you take fewer precautions than a neurotypical in the same situation? Should you be expected to take more because you find these things harder? Wouldn't that be a manifestly unfair expectation to place upon you?

You know I think communicating with people is a bit like driving a car and these 'incidents of offence' are a bit like car crashes. The difference is no one ever died from being offended. In fact being offended isn't harmful to a person at all, in fact some people might even say being offended can be good for a person in that it forces them to think about things they usually don't. Now beyond offensive behaviour there is harassing behaviour which can give people cause for alarm (and I say cause because not everyone who is alarmed has cause to be) but it doesn't sound like that was the situation here?

So what if you're disabled and your disability slows your reaction time on the road? Well obviously you wouldn't be allowed to drive but this is a metaphor and it would be manifestly unfair to ban autistic people from communicating (sexually or otherwise) because they might offend people. You could try driving more slowly but then traffic around you will be forced to slow down to your speed, or cars will zip past you cutting you up on the road. You will not be a part of the natural flow of traffic. You will either be excluded by default by traffic cutting you up on the road till you pull over or by the cops who'll pull you over for being a nuisance to others as you force them to slow down. If you want to interact with the 'flow' of neurotypical conversation you need to keep up with their speed and level of caution. You can't hesitate significantly more then they do or you will be left behind. That includes when it comes to flirtation and humour.

Unfortunately that means that autistic people will be involved in more communication collisions than their non autistic peers. That is the price of inclusion. Including disabled people is inconvenient. Whether it's only booking events in venues with wheel chair access or making sure your film has subtitles there is a cost associated with including disabled people, and accepting that now and again autistic people are going to say things that make other people uncomfortable is just one more of those costs.

That said the healthy way to deal with issues like this is not as a system of blame to 'call people out' for the awful things they've supposedly done or said. Instead you go to the person who's made you uncomfortable and tell them, and importantly tell them why. That way instead of a witch hunt you can actually help people improve their ability to communicate with you. In my view it's the people who start these witch hunts who need the etiquette guide.

• The vast majority of the people I was communicating with are autistic. I know full well that it's never going to be enough for some people.

If I had some kind of protection against any kind of threat or whatever, I wouldn't care. Unfortunately, these people are exactly the kind who could start another pile-on/witch-hunt if they as much as found out I was online again. No matter if it has been 2 years and I have moved forwards or whatever. 

There is a general culture of 'you said this 15 years ago, so you're still that person' from people who, when you zoom in on it, are not perfect themselves. 

With regards to the sexual conversation thing, perhaps more clearly it's a case of just not speaking to people I'm only on friendly terms with in that way. I knew that whatever I said would be torn apart but I would avoid those conversations with women I'm not actually 'with' in the future.

When I did my statement people said that I showed no remorse and that it wasn't sincere and that "you shouldn't have done it" but it's very easy to talk about the past. I can understand why the person went down this route; they wanted to 'warn people' against me and make an example I guess. The fact so many people came forward to say I'd done the same thing to them (up to 20 last I heard) will have vindicated their decision and has more-or-less killed any real hope I have of ever really coming back from this.

I don't think I could have prevented this happening. It was very much a ticking time bomb situation and I don't think people were comfortable enough to address it with me personally. I could have created a safe enough environment but that's on me.

• With regards to the sexual conversation thing, perhaps more clearly it's a case of just not speaking to people I'm only on friendly terms with in that way.

I've known friends that do flirt and talk about sexual things. That said I imagine possibly at the time you thought maybe some of these women wanted to be more than friends? How are you supposed to transition from friendship to romance (or friends with benefits) if the conversation doesn't turn to sex at some point? I don't wish to be presumptuous by suggesting that's what you were aiming for but I want to emphasise thats a totally ok thing for an autistic person to want and try to do. To turn a friendship into something more. Again I don't see anyway for autistic people to try to do that that doesn't expose them to a greater risk of misunderstanding than their non autistic peers. Accepting that misunderstandings will happen is just part of inclusion.

I don't think I could have prevented this happening. It was very much a ticking time bomb situation and I don't think people were comfortable enough to address it with me personally. I could have created a safe enough environment but that's on me.

But how could you have created that environment if you didn't know it was an issue? Again you describe a situation where they could have prevented this, by choosing to have an uncomfortable conversation, but you couldn't because you didn't know there was an issue.

In the end the only way to 'come back' from something like this is to keep a high profile. It goes against most people's 'logic' because you tend to think 'keep a low profile' but if you keep a low profile the only version of you people will hear about is the twisted caricature your haters spread. What you need to do is address the issue, draw a line under it and move on and unashamedly put your best self out their so people can see you are not the 2D villein your detractors paint you as.

• With regards to the sexual conversation thing, perhaps more clearly it's a case of just not speaking to people I'm only on friendly terms with in that way.

I've known friends that do flirt and talk about sexual things. That said I imagine possibly at the time you thought maybe some of these women wanted to be more than friends? How are you supposed to transition from friendship to romance (or friends with benefits) if the conversation doesn't turn to sex at some point? I don't wish to be presumptuous by suggesting that's what you were aiming for but I want to emphasise thats a totally ok thing for an autistic person to want and try to do. To turn a friendship into something more. Again I don't see anyway for autistic people to try to do that that doesn't expose them to a greater risk of misunderstanding than their non autistic peers. Accepting that misunderstandings will happen is just part of inclusion.

But how could you have created that environment if you didn't know it was an issue? Again you describe a situation where they could have prevented this, by choosing to have an uncomfortable conversation, but you couldn't because you didn't know there was an issue.

In the end the only way to 'come back' from something like this is to keep a high profile. It goes against most people's 'logic' because you tend to think 'keep a low profile' but if you keep a low profile the only version of you people will hear about is the twisted caricature your haters spread. What you need to do is address the issue, draw a line under it and move on and unashamedly put your best self out their so people can see you are not the 2D villein your detractors paint you as.

Children
  • You realise its quite normal to talk to your friends about the people you are attracted to? It would be perfectly normal for me to say to a friend, 'Oh I really like such and such a girl when she hugs me I feel like I'm in heaven.' People frequently go to their friends for relationship advice. I suppose what some friends are comfortable with which others aren't is discussing those relationships in more sexual terms.

I mean some close friends do talk about their sex lives, ask each other advice about it etc. It's not wrong to desire that kind of openness with a close friend. So you misjudged how close you were to your friend and how open they were to discussing certain things. That's not a character flaw, that's autism. You really need to stop beating yourself up over this.

Talking to my other female friends about how there's a girl I like is one thing. I did that but it never turned sexual.

The problem was I spoke to someone (who I wasn't on friendly terms with) about how I got excited while hugging a friend. The word excited in this context is exactly what you may be thinking I mean. I wouldn't say I am attracted to that friend but when I did meet her, I hugged her a lot and it went overboard (but never more than just hugs). She shouldn't have had to tell me to stop; I knew that it was too much at the time and I did apologise later. When we met the second time it was not as much.

But obviously, those messages were blasted out on Twitter and she and every one of my friends saw it. I'm not surprised that the resulting situation is that I no longer have friends.

That is, of course, the main lesson. I did have some conversations with some people about sex just as a general advice type thing but then in some cases it went beyond that, and they basically felt like they were being used.

The big thing which probably made people particularly uncomfortable was the fact I would occasionally joke about a friend converting to Islam so we could get married and be intimate in the way that was appropriate for me etc. I have accepted that it wasn't right and just an area I should have completely stayed away from. Things were just completely out of control. This is probably the one that made people decide that I am, in their eyes, a "groomer".

It doesn't matter how much I emphasise that I didn't go out of my way to hurt anyone, I just put my foot in it. It's my friends who have been deeply hurt by it all and I don't expect them to warm back to me ever. They can't be expected to be like "oh he's autistic, he doesn't know what he's doing" cos I am an adult at the end of the day.

If you don't mind me saying so that's dangerous. You are at risk of finding yourself repeatedly pushed out every time a hand full of people decide they don't like you and stir up trouble if you are not willing to fight for the places you call home. Yes twitter is particularly bad for this, but you get the same thing in real life spaces too. Some day if you want to keep a social circle long term, you'll have to draw a line in the sand and fight.

It is something I'm working on with my therapist. I know right now things will just inflame even more if I as much as showed my face. Six months down the line? It may be different but I just can't see how me defending myself here was even an option. No one was having it, it was all excuses to them. "you're only sorry cos you've been caught" - they'd rather I wasn't sorry I guess. If I tried to defend myself it'll just turn into a screaming match and my actions being emphasised tenfold so it's pointless. 

• I don't want to dismiss the whole thing as 'banter' but I know there were a few things that went way too far, such as me talking to someone about a friend and how I got excited when I hugged them. I know that was wrong now though, and that was something I should have tackled at the time.

You realise its quite normal to talk to your friends about the people you are attracted to? It would be perfectly normal for me to say to a friend, 'Oh I really like such and such a girl when she hugs me I feel like I'm in heaven.' People frequently go to their friends for relationship advice. I suppose what some friends are comfortable with which others aren't is discussing those relationships in more sexual terms.

I mean some close friends do talk about their sex lives, ask each other advice about it etc. It's not wrong to desire that kind of openness with a close friend. So you misjudged how close you were to your friend and how open they were to discussing certain things. That's not a character flaw, that's autism. You really need to stop beating yourself up over this.

I'm not the kind of person that can actually stand up strong in the face of all that either, I've never liked confrontation or conflict (even though I know I needed to face this).

If you don't mind me saying so that's dangerous. You are at risk of finding yourself repeatedly pushed out every time a hand full of people decide they don't like you and stir up trouble if you are not willing to fight for the places you call home. Yes twitter is particularly bad for this, but you get the same thing in real life spaces too. Some day if you want to keep a social circle long term, you'll have to draw a line in the sand and fight.

• I've known friends that do flirt and talk about sexual things. That said I imagine possibly at the time you thought maybe some of these women wanted to be more than friends? How are you supposed to transition from friendship to romance (or friends with benefits) if the conversation doesn't turn to sex at some point? I don't wish to be presumptuous by suggesting that's what you were aiming for but I want to emphasise thats a totally ok thing for an autistic person to want and try to do. To turn a friendship into something more. Again I don't see anyway for autistic people to try to do that that doesn't expose them to a greater risk of misunderstanding than their non autistic peers. Accepting that misunderstandings will happen is just part of inclusion.

I only really seriously felt that way about one person and I just didn't have those conversations with her. With pretty much everyone I was having those conversations with, it was intended to be playful. Sometimes it was a back-and-forth, other times I did take things too far and acknowledged it at the time. I think it's because I felt there was some kind of rebellious nature to it; like a pseudo feeling of what it's like to be an actual relationship, but truly I didn't know what I wanted to get out of it.

I don't want to dismiss the whole thing as 'banter' but I know there were a few things that went way too far, such as me talking to someone about a friend and how I got excited when I hugged them. I know that was wrong now though, and that was something I should have tackled at the time.

I know that it's always going to come down to "you should have known better" because the damage has been done and I have no friends anymore. It is uncomfortable knowing that there's lots that I did which friends were uncomfortable with but didn't feel like they could tell me at the time.

I don't even necessarily want to go back to what my life was cos there was lots wrong with it, but I want the opportunity to move forwards. Having said that, I can't see keeping a high profile being anything but a disaster. It has only been a month and considering I've been called a nonce, a groomer, a sex pest, an abuser etc, there's absolutely no way I can risk it. I'm not the kind of person that can actually stand up strong in the face of all that either, I've never liked confrontation or conflict (even though I know I needed to face this).

I did address it last month. People weren't having it because of how I handled the situation as it happened. I was in a state of panic and I was asking people to report the screenshots. It's no surprise people thought it was insincere, and I just thought the best thing to do was to fully disappear.