I'm always feeling unsure

Hi all. I don't know if I will be able to have anything answered here, or if what I say will make any sense but here goes. Firstly, I would like to ask the best and/or cheapest way to get a diagnosis? Followed by whatever assistance I might need should that bear fruit.

I have never felt comfortable around people, with one exception. Someone who loved me almost unconditionally, and someone who I hurt before pushing away. I have ADHD (although only started taking medication for it relatively recently,) and have had people say they think I am autistic but I have never been tested. I always joked about being on the spectrum in a satirical way that I joke about most things that I worry about but do not have enough knowledge to understand. I have been trying to give life another shot lately, after being very sad for a long time and adopting a sort-of nihilistic mindset where trying to improve my situation just did not seem possible. However, a bi-product of this 'self improvement' is that I am having to think about what it is I want from life; or what might make me happy. Firstly, the person who was in my life that I mentioned before, I cannot stop thinking about now. I have so much regret, and even when trying to study or exercise I find myself thinking about her and tearing up, it is awfully distracting. I took it all for granted during that time, she was flawless in so many ways and I didn't know a damn thing... perhaps I still don't. I would be scared to have another relationship, as I assume that someone like that is 1 in 10,000,000, and I don't know if I deserve that again, but hate the potential truth that I do not. Would it even be possible as everything seems so complicated now. Would I even be able to do better this time if someone else was special?

I have never felt like I really knew what I wanted from life. I don't really have any strong convictions about one thing or another, and my interests seems to alter from time-to-time. I always just wore masks depending on who I was with in order to fit it. I worry that whatever I do I will continue to have this fog in my head, and this sinking feeling in my heart. I would like to get tested for autism, I took a test online and scored within the Asperger's region; but I never put too much credence in multiple-choice tests, as I often find myself thinking that I could 'agree' or 'disagree' with almost every single question. I often feel like this is the case; or similar type of duality, as I feel I both hate and love myself, often leading to massive inconsistency with my thoughts and actions.

I have given myself some time to attempt to figure out what might be wrong with me, and what I have the power to improve on. Yet thinking positively still seems alien. I do not know how to cultivate that mindset, and whenever I hear someone talking about it I just think they are full of crap. It might be the case that it could work if I was able to give it a chance, but it seems at least equally likely that it is just not the method that will work for a pseudo-neurodivergent like me - at least not in the way I have tried thus far. I guess I am just always feeling unsure and confused, and the whole "that's just life" thing never sits right with me. Everything is too subjective to me. I don't know if this makes sense or it just sounds like babbling.

• May I ask how old u are Danny?

• So, first off, in answer to your question about diagnosis, the cheapest way is through the NHS (although it can potentially take a couple of years depending on where you live); going private is not cheap but will happen a lot faster. I'm not sure how much difference there really is in terms of quality.

But I would stress that if you think an autism diagnosis will magically resolve your issues, it won't. It might help you some, or not at all but you have stuff going on that's not going to be fixed just by getting a bit more information on what your brain is like.

I'm honestly not sure how you feel you could disagree or agree with most of the questions tbh. I'm not sure that really indicates autism but I'm no expert.