Artificial light issue - suggestions?

Hi all.  I have a ptoblem with the artificial lights at work. The easiest description is headaches .. but it seems more than that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mitigate this issue short of not being around those lights.

Do tinted lenses work? If so, is it a specixl tint?

Many thanks.

Parents
  • I am a BIG advocate of natural lighting with lightaware.org & talked about it on this thread. But continue to research.

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/health-and-wellbeing/23829/leds-legally-enforced-exemption-card-available-for-highly-sensitive-people

Their recent blog is something I had contributed to: https://lightaware.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/LightAware-response-to-new-ecodesign-requirements-for-lighting-products-consultation.pdf

To find the solution it can be helpful to understand these problems: 

Blue lights aren't just affecting our circadian rhythm, which in turn stresses the human body, but are quickly contributing to ecological disaster. Animals are off-time. And many, like humans need infrared light, which is further getting blocked out by artificial light. This affects our ability to see into space and to see with distance and clarity. 

Further, it's the equivalent of listening to music with no bass & frequencies around 300, 1k laser focused, with a sweep up exposing all the highs (hats, cymbals) - it would be piercing to listen to daily, these are used for 'crowd control' by police and yet we're being Absolutely Greenwashed into believing we're saving the environment when the impact is actually worse! They deplete rare earth and unlike halogen aren't easy to recycle. The only reason filament bulbs were made to not last was due to 6 major lighting companies signing agreements on what's called "Planned Obsolescence". It tuns out, energy is renewable and Bell Electric made an energy efficient halogen in 2010 they've since discontinued. 

One fix to deal with flicker and lack of a full spectrum is to bring a desk lamp with a halogen. If you look on lightaware's site, it will give you the legal structure set in place for those of us with light sensitivity. It is not illegal to have natural light. It's just not well known. 

Glasses can help. Rose tint and/or polarised lenses, but they cannot produce light to fill the spectrum where it doesn't exist. 

Third option is to ground yourself in the knowledge above and create a case to be moved to a location where there is natural light - near a window. You could also request to sit outdoors with a company laptop if this works. 

Last, I'd make sure you have halogens at home. If you cannot make adjustments to work make your home a place that relieves the day. I have a mix. LEDs are fine in rock lamps which break up their limited spectrum. I have a few night lamps that are properly diffused. But my kitchen is a mix and then I have floor lamps with halogen. The secret is - with a full spectrum, you don't need to have every LED in the house on, one or two lights will do!

• I am a BIG advocate of natural lighting with lightaware.org & talked about it on this thread. But continue to research.

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/health-and-wellbeing/23829/leds-legally-enforced-exemption-card-available-for-highly-sensitive-people

Their recent blog is something I had contributed to: https://lightaware.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/LightAware-response-to-new-ecodesign-requirements-for-lighting-products-consultation.pdf

To find the solution it can be helpful to understand these problems: 

Blue lights aren't just affecting our circadian rhythm, which in turn stresses the human body, but are quickly contributing to ecological disaster. Animals are off-time. And many, like humans need infrared light, which is further getting blocked out by artificial light. This affects our ability to see into space and to see with distance and clarity. 

Further, it's the equivalent of listening to music with no bass & frequencies around 300, 1k laser focused, with a sweep up exposing all the highs (hats, cymbals) - it would be piercing to listen to daily, these are used for 'crowd control' by police and yet we're being Absolutely Greenwashed into believing we're saving the environment when the impact is actually worse! They deplete rare earth and unlike halogen aren't easy to recycle. The only reason filament bulbs were made to not last was due to 6 major lighting companies signing agreements on what's called "Planned Obsolescence". It tuns out, energy is renewable and Bell Electric made an energy efficient halogen in 2010 they've since discontinued. 

One fix to deal with flicker and lack of a full spectrum is to bring a desk lamp with a halogen. If you look on lightaware's site, it will give you the legal structure set in place for those of us with light sensitivity. It is not illegal to have natural light. It's just not well known. 

Glasses can help. Rose tint and/or polarised lenses, but they cannot produce light to fill the spectrum where it doesn't exist. 

Third option is to ground yourself in the knowledge above and create a case to be moved to a location where there is natural light - near a window. You could also request to sit outdoors with a company laptop if this works. 

Last, I'd make sure you have halogens at home. If you cannot make adjustments to work make your home a place that relieves the day. I have a mix. LEDs are fine in rock lamps which break up their limited spectrum. I have a few night lamps that are properly diffused. But my kitchen is a mix and then I have floor lamps with halogen. The secret is - with a full spectrum, you don't need to have every LED in the house on, one or two lights will do!

Children