Experiment in phoneless GP communication

A few days ago, though my GP surgery officially only has the '8 o'clock phone lottery' method of getting an appointment, I sent an email to my GP surgery describing my worsening bowel problems (in great detail). Yesterday, the surgery phoned me offering an appointment next week. I strikes me that, once you have informed a surgery of a medical condition, that they have to respond. Because otherwise, if a patient developed a serious, or life-threatening, illness, they would be open to NHS disciplinary procedures, or to being sued for negligence. It may be worth others trying a similar approach; if it is generally applicable, it will make access to medical care much easier for autistics.

Parents
  • I had some luck when organising my referral appointment for Autism and ADHD. I sent an email through to reception and advised that due to my difficulties I can't do telephone calls (and explained why) and asked that they organise an appointment with me via email. I gave them the times and dates that I was free. The next day, I received a written response with the booked appointment. This was only for a routine appointment (which for my GP surgery is around 1.5 months in advance) but no phonecalls! I wonder what luck I would have for something urgent?

• I had some luck when organising my referral appointment for Autism and ADHD. I sent an email through to reception and advised that due to my difficulties I can't do telephone calls (and explained why) and asked that they organise an appointment with me via email. I gave them the times and dates that I was free. The next day, I received a written response with the booked appointment. This was only for a routine appointment (which for my GP surgery is around 1.5 months in advance) but no phonecalls! I wonder what luck I would have for something urgent?

Children
No Data