Experiment in phoneless GP communication

A few days ago, though my GP surgery officially only has the '8 o'clock phone lottery' method of getting an appointment, I sent an email to my GP surgery describing my worsening bowel problems (in great detail). Yesterday, the surgery phoned me offering an appointment next week. I strikes me that, once you have informed a surgery of a medical condition, that they have to respond. Because otherwise, if a patient developed a serious, or life-threatening, illness, they would be open to NHS disciplinary procedures, or to being sued for negligence. It may be worth others trying a similar approach; if it is generally applicable, it will make access to medical care much easier for autistics.

• phone? do your gps not use the online "ask my gp" feature?

• Good luck for your next appointment :) 

I haven't tried the App yet. Maybe I will soon.

• hope you get your appointment soon

Thank you.

Wishing you the same.

Now I've changed GP I will wait a while and then try to make a face to face appointment.

The NHS app looks useful too.

• I'm sorry you're still waiting! Some GP's are slow and don't appear to care all that much, mine sounds similar to yours and still not offering face service it's all over the phone which is really not good for me.

I'm meant to be having a cardiac check up soon to monitor how everything is and I've still not heard back about it. I phoned up and had to talk to this horrible receptionist and her exact words were phone up when we're less busy.

Lol. I wish mine had an email service, a WhatsApp service would be an improvement and much more easier for me.

I hope you get your appointment soon Former Member.

• They do have web booking, thankfully. Although you have to be online when they release the next two-week batch if you want to get an appointment, and then it's a 6-8 week wait as that's how far in advance they allow booking.

• Hi Dawn, I had my referral meeting with my gp and my contact preferences are now on my records. I often get text messages from the surgery, it’s much easier for me to process a text and have time to answer. Surgeries seem to be a lottery, there is no reason why some surgeries aren’t doing face to face appointments. I use the app, the appointment will normally be 2-3 weeks away, if it’s urgent then my wife phones for me, normally have then been seen on the same day. You are right, our preferences should be taken into account. I’ve used the message part of the app, as soon as I mention it’s a mental health problem, they reply very swiftly.

• I had to have an in person appointment for a problem that had got decidedly out of hand due to me not phoning the GP for them to give me the email. Try contacting your GP in any way you can, walk in if you have to, and ask. 

Also check to see what web booking facilities they have. Many have apps or websites that you can use which can take some wrangling but do still eventually work

• There should be an acknowledgement that that is how we will communicate.

I've done similar in the past, but it's taken weeks for that to get past the admin and onto the GP's desk.

They don't get why we can't do the 8 o'clock scramble and speak to a receptionist like everyone else.

• There should be an acknowledgement that that is how we will communicate.

I've done similar in the past, but it's taken weeks for that to get past the admin and onto the GP's desk.

They don't get why we can't do the 8 o'clock scramble and speak to a receptionist like everyone else.

• Here is a link to information about the NHS app for anyone thinking of putting it on their device:

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/about-the-nhs-app/

• I have the NHS app too but my surgery doesn't have any appointment booking features enabled sadly. I do like having all my medical notes, prescription requests and appointment details in one place though!

• I realised I had the App already for a Covid pass.

My new GP had given me a letter with the info in I needed so I've been able set it all up.

I can book telephone appointments but not in person.

Sadly I can't message the surgery.

However, it's brilliant, so thank you again Blush

• Thanks Roy.

I'm going to look into that.

Now I have a new surgery that appears efficient, I may be able to do the same.

Fingers crossed.

• I am extraordinarily lucky, my GP has an ‘e-consult’ facility whereby you can basically tell them about a medical problem without having to ring and ask for an appointment. They always respond within 2 days with instructions/ referrals and so on. I loathe talking on the phone so this facility is great, and means I can access help far quicker than asking for a telephone appointment, which for a routine matter would be at least 2-3 weeks wait. 

• Apparently, having an NHS email is mandatory for all GPs. NHS emails end with '@nhs.net', it might be worth trying a few iterations of ' .......practice@nhs.net' - mine just has the practice name in this form 'smithpractice@nhs.net'. Though it isn't Smith in reality.

• I use the NHS app to book appointments, it’s linked to my surgery and I am able to book face to face appointments without talking or explaining to anyone.  There is an option to message the surgery, I’ve normally had a reply within 24 hours. All previous appointments are shown on the app and any upcoming referrals. Allergies and medical notes can also be viewed. Repeat prescriptions can also be dealt with.

• Your GP has an email address? I've searched everywhere trying to find one for mine.

• I had some luck when organising my referral appointment for Autism and ADHD. I sent an email through to reception and advised that due to my difficulties I can't do telephone calls (and explained why) and asked that they organise an appointment with me via email. I gave them the times and dates that I was free. The next day, I received a written response with the booked appointment. This was only for a routine appointment (which for my GP surgery is around 1.5 months in advance) but no phonecalls! I wonder what luck I would have for something urgent?

• Useful leverage if an email address is available, however. Like all forms of communication, it is dependent on it being looked at in the first place.

• It will depend on the GP, unfortunately.

For starters, my former GP doesn't have a contact email address.

Secondly I wrote to them about 6 weeks ago asking for an operation because my symptoms have become much worse.

This is an op that's previously been discussed at my local hospital.

After a month I visited the surgery to ask what was being done about the letter.

I was told that it hadn't been dealt with and that there was a '3 month' wait on letters being dealt with.

Also, that surgery still doesn't have face-to-face appointments (as far as I know).

So, I've luckily managed to change GP to one in a village near my home town.

I will, however, have to start the process of asking for a referral again but hopefully at my new surgery there will be an option to talk to an actual live GP.