Tips for dealing with smells

Hello,

I’m newly diagnosed (2 weeks ago) and still navigating my way through things but overall am content with my diagnosis.

I am super sensory when it comes to smell. I smell everything and either gravitate towards them (been known to sniff people in the past) or feel physically unwell by them or cry if I can’t find the source of a smell. This can make it quite challenging to be out and about at times.

I’ve read lots of tips for people managing noise aversions but I have never come across anything to deal with smells. Does anyone experience the same thing and have any wisdom to pass along?

I’m not sure if I should just start carrying around a small spritz bottle or aroma ball of a scent I like and place it on my wrists or something like that.

Any tips welcome! Thanks

• I carry scented items with me in my bag and perfume so I can spray some if the smell is an area. Once sprayed it's all I can smell for a time and solves the problem. Otherwise as I expect you find yourself it can be a meltdown if you can't get away from the smell.

Some environments can be really gross and smelly.

And if you're hyper sensitive it is sheer Hell.

• Smells can be difficult to deal with—especially for those of us on the autism spectrum. Fortunately, there are some strategies you can use to help manage these olfactory irritations!

First off, if possible it's a good idea to identify and remove any sources of odor in your environment. By eliminating or minimizing odors that linger in the air you can reduce the amount of sensory input that your body has to process. This could mean anything from ensuring proper ventilation in areas where strong odors are generated (kitchens, bathrooms, etc.), using an air purifier, or cleaning up after pets promptly.

Secondly, for those times when certain smells cannot be avoided it is important to practice mindful breathing techniques and grounding exercises. For example: focusing on deep breaths through your nose; consciously relaxing each muscle group starting from your head and going down to your toes; counting backwards from 100 by 3s while paying attention only to what you're counting; visualizing yourself in a calm and safe place like walking alongside a peaceful lake or standing at the top of a mountain looking out over lush green fields—whatever works best for you! Doing this helps give our bodies something else besides smell sensations that we can focus on instead so as not to become overwhelmed.

Finally following healthy lifestyle habits such as eating whole foods whenever possible (fruits & veggies!), getting enough sleep every night, drinking plenty of water throughout the day,, exercising regularly (even just taking daily walks!), avoiding processed foods with artificial flavors/odors etc., limiting caffeine intake — these will all help keep our bodies functioning optimally which reduces sensitivity levels overall. And don't forget about self-care activities too such as journaling & meditation - these help calm our minds which also minimizes stress & anxiety caused by sensory overload due scents!

In short: Taking proactive steps like removing scent sources when possible coupled with actively implementing mindful coping strategies such as engaging in calming activities — all while maintaining healthy habits — should go along way towards helping minimize irritation cause by irritating smells!

• My partner is extremely smelly to me after exercise so we’ve now bought a Neals Yard Calming room spray bottle which really helps me with coping. At work I tend to wear a strong Tom Ford scent that I can smell on my wrists if I need to mask another unwanted scent in my vicinity.  Not sure this is the best advice as I realise I’m using things to mask. 

• I'm only intermittently smell sensitive, in that I'm reactive to some smells, both positive and negative, and not to others. I've found that having a strong positive smell can take away some of the reaction to negative smells so I have a necklace that has a little vial of essential oils that I like that I can open if I'm overwhelmed by a negative smell. Because it's oil it retains the strong smell so it usually overpowers the other smell. I had a fun time working out which combination worked best for me, it was very trial and error with a bit of gagging along the way, but at least I now know some of the negative smells I'm really reactive to!Joy

• Thanks for the suggestions! It’s really helpful. Funnily enough I have always stuck by windows in offices or by the doors on public transport but it was never an active decision. Maybe my brain was subconsciously putting me there to give me air and protect me somewhat from the icky smells!

• Oh Vicks could be a really good one actually. They do those nasal spray things too so that could be an option. Thank you!

• I'm super sensitive to smells too. I physically gag if I'm smelling something bad, like a stinky human in the bus or dog's *** even from a distance. Once I did throw up a little in my mouth in the tram and I wondered how others are not as affected as I am!!. It seemed like I was the only one smelling it!. 

Which means that windows are super damn important. I stand always next to a window. Or my office at work next to one since our boss and her husband both stink. In the public transportation I stay as close as possible to the door so I can run away before throwing up. I try to use the public transportation out of the crowded hours as much as possible or take the metro instead of bus/tram. When faced with bad smell I'd cover my nose with my shirt/sweater and focus on my scent instead even tho it's so damn hard but it could buy me some time before I can run away. 

I keep the toilet and kitchen windows open at almost all times. In winter it's challenging. I don't know what I'd do if the toilet didn't have a window!! Mechanical ventilation isn't enough at all. I keep the doors between rooms closed so smells don't transfer between them.

I use smell-free detergent, shampoo and shower gel. I wash my things a lot. I don't wear deodorants or sprays. My creams have very light smell or none at all. My clothes are hanged on a rack next to a window. If I encountered a smoky place, then it's time to wash everything I was wearing when I did.

Masks gave me some sense that I'm protected from smells but I wasn't really. Adding a strong smell to an existing strong one makes the situation harder for me, so carrying a perfume or nice scent everywhere wouldn't solve it but probably would just complicate it, so I tend to cover my nose with my sleeve and escape. The only solution for me in such situation in to stop breathing!. If it's inescapable like a boss then I tend to prefer online meetings or opening the window and taking a break "to go to the toilet".

My room smells like nothing which is incredible. When I water my plants it smells like it has just rained which is incredible too. I have too many plants.

Luckily the city doesn't overwhelm me with scents as much as with noises when I'm walking the street. I love to smell the bakery or sweets shops or a fireplace, but I don't want the smell to stick on me. If it's a place that I know smells bad, like kebab places, so I change my route a bit to avoid it. 

• Back in history people would carry around a pomander or a scented handkerchief to use when affected by unpleasant smells. People working in very smelly situations will smear a little Vicks vapo-rub under their noses, which is a very powerful smell, good if you like the smell of menthol and eucalyptus.