Declaring your autism at work

Just wondering is there any point declaring your autism at work? Would be interested to hear people's experiences

I declared mine before starting a job for the first time ever with my new job. I thought it would help but I'm not sure it has. I feel like my bosses treat me with more understanding which is a good thing but everything else is the same or worse

I had an Occupational Health Assesment where I said what my reasonable adjustments needed to be. The main one was having a regular timetable that didnt change without warning

2 weeks into the job and I am still the only teaching assistant in the college without a timetable. My boss said to me "You can design your own timetable" since she knows I need one. In a new job, where I know none of the classes or students. Also, the only way to do this is to use software systems that I have never used before and havn't been shown how to use, even though I am supposed to have been trained on them. She also sent me a email notification to have a 1-2-1 meeting with me at the end of the day with no message attached to explain what the meeting was about or any warning that it was going to happen. Yet she writes blogs on autism for the organisation's website so I dont understand how she doesnt understand these things.

Everyone's telling me different things today in the office. Different people from different departments are coming up to me telling me totally contradictory things about what I am supposed to be doing till the end of term, there's no communication and it seems even more confusing than my previous jobs. 

Makes me wonder what the point of disclosing my autism was 

• 2 weeks into the job

This is a pretty common issue for new starters in general in my experience, mainly because the other staff are probably overloaded and are finding it challenging to carve out the time in their day to train you.

Thee fact you have declared your diagnosis means you are probably seen as more of a challenge than the average new hire, and I wouldn't be surprised if the ones who are supposed to be training you are a bit intimidated with the task in hand.

Speaking as a manager, I would expect the initial 1-2-1 meetings to be mostly catch up chats to see how you are coping, if you are lacking access to anything and if things are working to plan.

From your side I would take the lead here and ask for a development plan and ideally a mentor who can offer some time to train you up, and offer consistent advice (maybe highlight the fact you are getting conflicting advice so you want to make sure you get it from a trusted source)

Highlight your inexperience with the timetable software and ask who can give you the training.

Offer any positive feedback on where the accomodations made for your autism have helped - some gratitude and acknowledging that their input worked always helps.

Point out that structure is important for you and you would like to schedule follow up meetings when the manager can accommodate these - offer to put together a tracking document for your training and porgress for them to review (a bit tip here is that a busy manager loves it when you offer practical suggestions to an issue and offer to do the heavy lifting to keep it on track. They often lack the capacity to do this in the way they would like so give them the rough draft to polish and they feel like they did it all).

Lastly, from a managers point of view, please remember that managers are just people too, some of us are autistic (undiagnosed for my working career) and we all have failings like anyone else.

Sometimes we lose sight of the daily issues you face but keep us in the look in as concise a way as you can and try to come to us with solutions to issues and you will get a lot more love and respect from us.

Be patient, be persistent and give the others the same understanding you would hope they would offer to you and I think you will do well,

Good luck.

• It depends.

I decided to declare my autism at work after reading about how only 20% of autistic adults are in paid employment, the lowest of any disabled group as per the Disability Act. That horrified me. I have many frustrations with my career - I've never been considered for promotion and have seen people younger and less established than me get promoted. I felt that I was already disadvantaged in certain regards, so I declared it.

I got the usual nonsense about how "brave" I was. I was actually asked to do a talk at work (this is a major UK company you will all know) which I did. I talked about my own experiences, but also how we could work together to make a workplace that is autism-friendly. The talk was filmed, and about sixty people showed up which was amazing. Everyone told me how wonderful it was, and in certain senses I'm glad I did it: I've had parents of autistic children asking for advice, I had other colleagues with autism talk to me and ask me if they should also declare it (of course, I never led them in either direction, but told them to take some time to really consider the benefits and drawbacks). It has been a great privilege to be able to help others.

But as soon as I finished the talk, I felt naked. I had given myself away and the deepest part of my psyche was now in the hands of this company that had passed me by time and again, whilst regularly telling me how wonderful I was.

Has it changed anything? Not really. Our Disability Network are really looking at autism and would like me to lead a project talking to other channels of the business, which is an honour and privilege, but the talk was full of pleas not to judge people by how sociable or "bantery" they are, but by the quality of their work and the strength of their characters. I feel that this has not changed, at all, sadly.

• Yes, they absolutely should send you a copy directly. Email the person/service who assessed you and ask for a copy.  

I'm wishing I hadn't disclosed my diagnosis at the moment. I got a written warning when I disclosed to my boss (now overturned). It was the 3rd time he'd acted very unreasonably upon information I'd given him so I requested a new manager. New manager now talks to me like I'm 6 since she found out I'm autistic.

You're right..though, .you couldn't make it up! The question is whether it's well intentioned ignorance or designed to belittle or disadvantage you in some way. 

The equality rep for my union explained it well for me (I hope I'm using similarly correct words in the right order): The legislation is there to protect against being treated unfavourably because of disability and to address any disadvantages you might face because of your disability. You want to be treated differently to help put you on a level playing field with colleagues, e.g. being warned of possible timetable changes, having instructions written down, having minutes/notes of meetings sent to you in writing if helpful (in case like me your mind wanders during meetings or you forget things). However, if the different treatment puts you at a disadvantage compared to colleagues then that's discrimination (even if it's well intended). 

Try to put your concerns in an email to them. If you find that difficult as I did, get help from a union (UCU?). There may be charities who might help too but I wouldn't know which ones. 

Good luck!

• Thats horrible, cant believe they did that to you

• In 2019 I was very unwell. Supervisor phoned me up to say no point coming in as only 4 tubs arrived. Anxiety went through the roof. Told to make up the hours and said no. Unfortunately no GP appointment were available. Got called a liar. 

• Thanks for your advice. No I havnt requested to do my own timetable, quite the opposite I find it very stressful as Im not very good with computer systems

So now I am the only LSA in the college without a timetable even though I am the only one who has an OH assessment saying I need one. You couldn't make it up. Im really wondering what the point of getting an OH assessment was if they're going to ignore it. Do you know if there's a way to see your OH assessment? I havnt actually seen mine, it just got sent to the college

• Thats a good idea actually , have evidence just in case I need it

Do you find that you're made to feel like a troublemaker for expecting the adjustments they agreed to give you

• Still getting asked uncomfortable questions which is difficult to answer. Now found a new group which is safe for me. Also good shop keepers as one warned me about any changes in an advance. 

Write anything down like a diary over two weeks. Then speak to your doctor or CAB. I did this when had a nervous breakdown in 2015. Totally ignored.

Management knew that I wasn't happy.

• Sorry to hear you've been through bullying, thats horrible

Being ignored seems to be my experience too, Im really wondering what the point of having adjustments is, they seem to be being completley ignorned

• First of all I'm surprised they're saying you can make your own timetable when others have them given. If you haven't asked for this as a reasonable adjustment and it's making you feel uncomfortably different from others it should be noted (I do know how difficult this is though). Hopefully you get one soon anyway. 

Try to make sure everything is in writing in an email. For example if someone books a 1-2-1 with you ask in an email if there's an agenda so you can be best prepared for the meeting. It's worth spending time on getting things right now which will benefit you, them and the students in the long run.

I'm coming at this from a slightly defensive point of view mind so apologies if unhelpful to you.  I disclosed my recent diagnosis to my employer a few weeks ago and it has been less than plain sailing to say the least. I understand how difficult it can be to articulate and negotiate and explain and sometimes they just don't get it. I have a trade union equality rep assisting me now with negotiations for the very minor adjustments I'm requesting temporarily until OH assessment. The reps are often good to have in the background just for advice too. 

All the best with it anyway.

• I've been in my current job 18 months, got diagnosed 6 weeks ago (ish) and haven't disclosed yet. My diagnostic team advised me that I should, because I'm high-masking and at risk of burnout, but I worry that people just won't know what to do about it or will think I'm making excuses.

For the most part I don't need any accommodations because I work from home, but I do visit the office for a week every 6 months or so and it would be easier on me if I could have some alone time, a good sensory environment, etc. But I have no idea what to ask for or what would be seen as reasonable.

• I was worried about this - I'm just starting a new job at a school and did disclose to the head and other staff. A few gave me judging looks, but most were ok about it. The head and one teacher were especially supportive and pleased. This teacher is called Alice and she said it's good because it will show the kids that even if they have difficulties that they can overcome them and still achieve. So in my case, I think disclosing was a good thing and worked to my advantage but I guess it wouldn't be the same for every job and also depending on what your employer and colleagues are like as well.

• I'd disclosed my diagnoses and made adjustments. Unfortunately got largely ignored and got bullied. Tried to carry on until had enough and making me feel unwell. Also your under the equality act and disability act when disclosed your diagnosis.