Occupational Health Team

So I have been offered a new job at my local college and on the health form I put that I have autism and now someone from the college's Occupational Health Team is going to call me to ask what reasonable adjustments they can make for my disability

While its really good that they are doing this Im not sure what to say. Whenever people ask me stuff like this about my autism my mind goes completely blank and I cant think what to say or what I need

Any tips would be really helpful 

• The levels will be around your support needs. Somebody who can't function on a daily basis by themselves and needs carers will have high support needs. Somebody who can hold down a job and pay their bills will be classed as low support level needs. 

• I also struggle with this [removed by moderator]. It's super extensive and for the USA, however I think it might help you formulate what you are experiencing issues with. Your needs will / might change over time and the college should be open to adjust accordingly, especially if this is a new role. A good place to start is to think about what caused you issues in your old job, and what made you come to realise that you are autistic. 

Ask if you can get some workplace coaching and if the college has other autistic employees you can connect with. A workplace buddy might also be useful. 

If you like podcasts or Youtube, there will be episodes discussing work place adjustments that you could listen to or watch as well. 

Good luck with the new job! 

• I’ve not been assessed by these groups as my initial diagnosis was done via Zoom by the Owl Centre in 2021 - I’ve not had any post-diagnostic assessment except a very brief one by council social services and I’m trying to find out the levels myself if there are any - both the diagnosis and post diagnostic assessment should have been carried out properly (face to face) and not online, which is why I’m going for a second opinion face to face diagnosis 

• Can you explain to me please what the “levels” are? There was no mention of levels in either my assessment or the feedback meeting. all done f2f in the NHS. . I read you were assessed over Zoom by Psychiatry UK, who are they? I haven’t heard of them. Thanks. E

• Since my diagnosis was carried out online in 2021 and I’ve had no proper post diagnostic assessment by anyone, I feel the same way - I have no idea of my level of autism nor my support needs at age 52 and this is already causing huge problems - it’s almost as if you have to fight for the least thing from them because they simply refuse to understand 

• I think it would really be specific to you but I think of  mainly sensory issues, if they can’t reduce lighting or noise impact then allowing you to wear earplugs/glasses etc. separate lunch arrangements if you can’t stand the smell of food, a safe place to go if you’re feeling overwhelmed. Meeting in the middle with uniform if you have clothing sensory issues. If you have issues with change then giving as much notice of schedule changes as possible where reasonable and to change what you’re doing as an absolute last resort (if at all) if someone calls in sick. Letting them know if you need speaking to directly and can’t read between the lines or understand sarcasm etc. 

• Hi

Other people here will have more experience than me in this but when talking through this with my work, the sorts of things they offered were:

• 2 monitors to help with admin
    • protected admin time
    • extra time for study/ learning
    • allocated workstation in quiet area
    • adaptations to lights (desk light, no lights above workstation)
    • having micro breaks to help with fatigue
    • recording team meetings
    • livescribe pen
    • noise cancelling headphones or loops
    • consideration of environment when communicating (if noisy or crowded) to help with processing information
    • avoiding sarcasm, rhetorical questions etc or explaining them and generally being clear with what is required  

This all depends on what sort of job you will be doing. Mine is mostly office based  

There is also a government scheme called ‘access to work’ which I can provide grants and support if employees don’t.

• I’ve requested adjustments around communications, a really problematic area for me. Unfortunately I’m not getting the help and consideration I need in this, it’s a third sector organisation who should know better but too many are only tokenisttic, put up some posters and run an awareness campaign on their (inaccessible) intranet but when someone like me asks for adjustments outside their box it’s a wall of silence. Very sad