Do I really need the diagnosis......

am new here so be gentle....

am in my late 30's, never really fit in my whole life and always struggled with....well just life.....over 10 years ago my son was diagnosed very young and I through myself into researching autism.....and supporting him in every way I thought possible. So now over 30 years into my life and over 10 years into my son's diagnisos it has become so blatantly obvious I am autistic.

My husband says so much makes sense now and I agree so much in life makes sense.

So I know, my nearest and dearest all know but I still crave a diagnosis and I dont know how to explain why.......was anyone else like this??

• I think from all the comments I can say I need the diagnosis and if you have struggled with the question for years maybe you need it too - like me for closure?

• I have been struggling with this question for years too

• Thank you everyone for all your replies. The doctor has agreed I am likely austistic and had me, my mum and husband fill out forms - the answers confirmed it for her and she has referred me but am told 5-7 years wait and I just feel its hanging over me so am looking at going crazy and I guess I was thinking maybe am mad paying all that money but you have helped me with your replies  I feel I can justify wanting the diagnosis more.
    I forever have mum guilt so spending money on myself for any reason is always hard but I do think it will help me as a person and a mum to know

• I have been wondering for about 5 years and had been putting off assessment as I read the DSM 5 and couldn't see how I could meet all the criteria.  However, my wife is convinced and my mum says she thought I had traits when I was younger.  I have done all the online tests and a lot of thinking and I'm as sure as I can be too.  If I don't do it now, I will still be wondering in 5 years.

I now want to talk to an actual expert in diagnosis to get their opinion.  I can then feel justified in seeing my struggles through this new prism which I am hoping can help explain them better.  Without a diagnosis (or not as it might be) I can't really move on in my journey towards some degree of stability with my appalling mental health.

• I needed one for reasons I won't bore you with, but many people have no immediate imperative other than they want their truth and that's a more than good enough reason.  You never know when you might need that bit support and need to be armed with a diagnosis to get it. Some people may just want to understand themselves better.

To my mind, you should just be able to rock up to your GP and get referred, however, with the current diagnostic crisis that might not be so easy, unless you are prepared to go private.

It might help to create a list of the advantages of a diagnosis for both your present and your future to go with; not least of all from your GP's point of view, it can affect other aspects of health care.  You wouldn't want a burn out mistaken for depression if you aren't depressed, there are general health conditions we are more vulnerable to and your GP may some time later in your life need an understanding of this and we may react differently to some drugs which act on the neurological system, for instance.

Otherwise, the diagnosis means what it means to you.  Do you feel you could be better supported in some environments, work for instance, it would give you right to reasonable adjustments, do you wish to have counselling for anything at any time; that would need to be autism informed?  You GP might not give you the highest priority, but just wanting your truth because you just want it is legitimate and it could be a godsend to have the bit of paper at a later date.

I wish I'd known in my 30s before crisis hit in my 50s, I'd have had the right support rather than "support" that compounded my problems.

• Hey sounds like we are at a similar stage - I have just found the forum and been reading through old posts etc and I do have a small sense of relief knowing myself but I think it will be an even bigger sense of relief when I know for certain

My doc has referred me so I am pursueing it but I have been told 5-7years which I find a struggle so may have to pay to go private as I dont think you can do the right to choose thing in scotland

• yes am I look back at s much of my life and I think I will feel better in myself knowing for sure and I can explain certain feelings and situations to myself better

• yeah I think for my self my brain wont rest until I know does that make sense....like when am diagnoised maybe I wont think about it as much

• YES - I feel like am waiting for something and I dont think that feeling will leave me till its confirmed thank you you for replying

• Hi, I'm new on here and like you am not sure about getting a formal diagnosis.  For me I felt the release from recognising my autism and sharing it with close family and my team leader at work.  Support on here appears to be good and kind natured so I'm busy reading through past threads for advice and support.  Like others have said everyone is different and some want that formal diagnosis

• If you feel you want the 'official' confirmation then that's all that matters. It's a very personal thing- some people feel that once they realise, that's enough, but others need the certainty of hearing it from a professional. For me, I chose to pursue assessment because I'd been terribly gaslit by doctors previously and I didn't trust my own judgement any more. I get my results in two weeks, and I already know the answer, but I know I'll feel better from hearing them say it.

• Yes you need a diagnosis - not only for peace o mind but as the medical world evolves knowing will help your octors.  I have an emergency bracelet with my diagnoses for the 911 folks.    

• Most of us need certainty, and facts. There’s a feeling of unrest until you get it. Well it was for me anyhow. I knew I autistic, but I just needed that confirmed so I could get closure and move forward.