How to start an Asperger’s group. Any advice?

Depending on how things go I’m either going to move soon or not. If not … well I already know there is nothing for high functioning autistic adults where I live. If I do move I’ll be in a new place and there is a good chance there will still be no social groups for high functioning autistic adults there either. Plus there will be no support network of family etc if I move.

so they say be the change you want to see. Can anyone advise me on the logistics of setting up a support / social group of high functioning autistic adults?

i imagine the big issues will be resources. Especially getting a venue and putting out PR. Has anyone done anything like this and could lend some pointers?

Parents
  • … I appreciate you’re probably trying to add a bit of light hearted humour but that’s not very helpful on a practical level.

• I slightly disagree.

It was a combo throwaway humorous quip and also a deep insight into the problem that you face when organising Autists. We aren't as simple as "provide a thing and they will come". That is a very practical consideration indeed.

And you might find that "meetup" who certainly run a very enthusiastic group in my area, have it already covered in your area. Ours has zoom and face to face meetups and all sorts.

But every week here I run a selected film for those who I imagine might enjoy such a brief diversion from partial or even total social isolation, if you get my drift.

I thought I'd be swamped, but it has not been the case... 

• I am trying an new experimental 19:30 (7:30PM) slot tomorrow (Sunday) evening.

For any Trekkies who have missed seeing "Galaxy Quest"  before, this should be an enjoyable one..

• All fair comments, well made.  I'll crawl back under my rock and mumble to myself some more.

Good luck with the showing tomorrow (or is it tonight?)

• I'm not a natural advertising guy. I try to keep bumping it up twice on a Saturday and Sunday.

It might be dubious "kitch" film choices, but 1. I'm trying to "keep it light" so as to engage with as wide a rage of people as possible and 2. I judge a films suitability by it's audience reaction when I've watched it with an audience.

These aren't just niche films, they are the best niche films I've come across in 40 years, so have some respect please, there's a plan.. If I just run what everyone has seen already, 

As for the "advertising", just as with many of my activities here, there is an element of threading the needle required between making the service available and spamming... If anyone has any ideas how I can do it better, I'm all ears.  

It's a bit of a PITA for me to deliver an ontime reliable service, and when like last week I let my O/H go to the pub quiz alone so I could do that, and no one showed up except my mate who helps me with the service delivery aspect, Well, we enjoyed ourselves, but I question whether I am doing the right thing wrong, or doing the wrong thing right..

• I think your film night idea is a good one. Personally it's not for me, because I'm not comfortable with using things like zoom, the reason is I'm a bit of a technophobe and it makes me very anxious. And also because I don't really like films, I tend to wander off as I can't sit focused on something that is not of absolute interest to me.

This is entirely my own flaws. Just wanted to let you know that the idea is a good one. Perhaps select a few films and do a vote, that may call in more interest. Just a thought though.

• In terms of your film group, I for one never saw any advance warning / publicity nor flyers advertising your new institution.  The first I saw of it was a cryptic post.  I tell you this fyi....not a criticism, just a fact...if that was my experience, perhaps it was also the same for others?

(I know what a sensitive flower you can be - but what the heck.....!). Another possible reason for low up-take might be dubious kitch film choices?!   When are you putting Rainman on?  Now that's a movie - devoid of any/all stereotyping.

• In my case there is no meet-up group in my area. The only Asperger’s/ high functioning specific group has been inactive since last year. I’ve been chasing the organisers but looks like it’s never coming back. I really do think the in person aspect is incredibly important. I find myself some what turned off by online events post pandemic.

• In my case there is no meet-up group in my area. The only Asperger’s/ high functioning specific group has been inactive since last year. I’ve been chasing the organisers but looks like it’s never coming back. I really do think the in person aspect is incredibly important. I find myself some what turned off by online events post pandemic.

Children
No Data