Misophonia BBC Radio 2

Just wondered if anyone caught the segment on The Jeremy Vine Show yesterday? It is on BBC Sounds as a catch-up.  It was really interesting, to hear other people openly talk about it. The common link seems to be how the noise turns into anger so quickly. I know I often leave the dinner table because my head gets to exploding point. My wife sat in the car next to me yesterday eating an apple, I don’t know where the anger comes from.

• I fully get this, I mentioned Brentford Nylons last week, bed sheets made of nylon was hideous, in the summer the bottom sheet looked like the Turin shroud in the morning. I remember the advents on tv with Fluff Freeman. I can’t touch wool either, my teeth just go strange, I love wood and metal, looking at buying a wood turning lathe. Would love to turn bowls.

• Rustling newspaper - snapping open a broadsheet (thankfully, now virtually a thing/noise of the past) sends me into the red zone in a matter of seconds.  One of my earliest memorable experiences with sound "problems."

• My problem area is textures; some things, like nylon fabric, if I touch them make me want to curl up and die, my revulsion is so strong. As a counterbalance, touching things like corduroy, some wooden objects and some pebbles gives me really great pleasure.

• I think you’re right, I try not to be controlling as I know it’s wrong and the world doesn’t revolve around me. I use the excuse sometimes of needing to watch an article on the evening news. The worst thing is soup, that sucking noise and then the noise from swallowing.

• It could be from the mismatch between the sound being unbearable, and the knowledge that complaining about it, or reacting to it, would be seen as inappropriate and unreasonable by societal norms.

One of my adult children has this for 'mouth sounds' and it often makes meals intensely self-conscious times for the rest of the family.