Misophonia BBC Radio 2

Just wondered if anyone caught the segment on The Jeremy Vine Show yesterday? It is on BBC Sounds as a catch-up.  It was really interesting, to hear other people openly talk about it. The common link seems to be how the noise turns into anger so quickly. I know I often leave the dinner table because my head gets to exploding point. My wife sat in the car next to me yesterday eating an apple, I don’t know where the anger comes from.

Parents
  • It could be from the mismatch between the sound being unbearable, and the knowledge that complaining about it, or reacting to it, would be seen as inappropriate and unreasonable by societal norms.

One of my adult children has this for 'mouth sounds' and it often makes meals intensely self-conscious times for the rest of the family.

• It could be from the mismatch between the sound being unbearable, and the knowledge that complaining about it, or reacting to it, would be seen as inappropriate and unreasonable by societal norms.

One of my adult children has this for 'mouth sounds' and it often makes meals intensely self-conscious times for the rest of the family.

Children
  • I think you’re right, I try not to be controlling as I know it’s wrong and the world doesn’t revolve around me. I use the excuse sometimes of needing to watch an article on the evening news. The worst thing is soup, that sucking noise and then the noise from swallowing.