Noise disturbance

I am new in autism subject, im planning to design a facility for autistic... I heard that autistic might very sensitive with sounds... How sensitive is it?  Thankyou :)

• I am sensitive with sounds as in, I will only hear background noises and not what is in front of me e.g. if someone is talking to me - I totally block it all, can't hear the person speaking. I was tested for deafness as a child and it baffled all my teachers and has become a huge problem in a work environment to the point I now work for myself! I prefer quietness of the house or online shopping rather than crowds of people or busy streets/shops. 

• Air conditioning can be one of the most annoying for me 

• I can't hear what is said to me in crowded areas (like a busy pub, for example), because I hear all the conversations equally - it is a cacophony of sound. I even have to shout to hear myself speak.

I have to find a quiet area to use a phone, as other noise tends to blot out what the other person is saying to me (and the phone could not be any neaerer to my ear, right?) 

• stephtan said:

Hi intenseworld, thankyou for your reply. 

I am an architecture student, and my thesis is creating facility for treatment and talent developing for autistic... Smile

I worry about the noise of the surrounding... Are you bothered with noises from air conditioning machine too?

To give you some idea of how sensitive the hearing of people on the spectrum can be, Stephtan, some can here the hum of domestic electricity moving through the cables in the walls!

I remember lying in bed, as a child, and being able to hear telephone conversations (the overhead telephone wire came to the house close to my bedroom window).

• Hi hope, thankyou for your reply.  

It must be devastating for you! When those noises disturbed you, how hard it goes? Can you still continue your activity, or should you wear any earplug?

• Hi intenseworld, thankyou for your reply. 

I am an architecture student, and my thesis is creating facility for treatment and talent developing for autistic... :)

I worry about the noise of the surrounding... Are you bothered with noises from air conditioning machine too?

• I am always on the lookout for noise, particulary when I am at home. Car engines, neigbour's feet pounding ceiling above me, low level noises outside, all make me tense and on edge. And some people have it far worse than me. Yes, this is an issue in which we could do with more support and adjustments from society at large.

• Yes, many of us are very sensitive to sound (auditory sensitivity) althought it varies between individuals like anything else.  There is no measurement you can give.  What other people would consider small sounds startle me.  For instance, I have just returned from the optician, and the clicking of the machine I had to look through kept startling me.

What "facility" are you talking about?