Sitting

Do you sit awkwardly, and prefer certain seats? I don’t like eating at the table as I feel like I am perched on the chairs, even though they are relatively comfortable. I prefer my dinner on my lap on the comfort of my sofa. If I have soup, (or use my computer), I tend to sit on the floor Grimacing

I sort of sit on my side on the sofa, or I perch in the corner of the sofa diagonally, or I sit with my legs outstretched on the sofa, with my back resting on the arm. I don’t feel relaxed and I’m never comfortable.
The other day I was sat with my knees apart and bent at right angles, with feet on tip toes on the floor in front of me. Heels resting on the bottom of the sofa. My friend asked me why I was sat like that, and I said oh, I don’t know, and we laughed.  Sometimes I sit with one leg wide hanging over the arm of the chair. That is comfortable. But not very ladylike. Good job I only wear jeans!

• I remember during my daughters assessment, sitting positions were mentioned.

" Sitting tolerance is an important skill that children must learn before sitting for long periods of time. Because children with autism tend to be more active than their typical peers, sitting down is usually difficult. What causes the development of sitting tolerance?

Sitting tolerance requires neuromotor planning, which is one skill area that children with autism are challenged with.  The basal ganglia plays the primary role in sitting tolerance because it has direct inhibitory input to the motor cortex. When sitting down, you have to stop your body from sitting and make sure that your body is sitting correctly. If you sit without thinking about how sitting affects other muscles such as those found in your back, you could end up sitting in a position that causes pain.

There is often overlap between sitting tolerance and balance which also requires the basal ganglia to make fine motor adjustments while sitting down. The cerebellum, which is involved in balance too, contributes to sitting tolerance by giving feedback on changes of posture and maintaining the correct sitting position. "

https://fidgeet.com/sitting-skills-for-children-with-autism/

• I say, sit however you like and what keeps you happy.

Agreed!

• Catlover,

This is an interesting post as I've never really thought about it before.  I do sit in different ways because I find it better and really don't like eating at a table except I find I get heartburn if I eat at the sofa.  My daughter and I ear snacks on the sofa but only things that won't ruin it because it cost a lot and I need it to last....

I say, sit however you like and what keeps you happy. :-)

• Also me.  So much so it aggravated the pain in my hips post pregnancy.  Solved by getting a weighted lap pad, which provides the needed sensory pressure and keeps away the chill. (Part of it for me is about keeping my legs warm.)

• I often sit with my legs wrapped around each other or sit on one of my feet.

That is something I sometimes do too, although am trying to get out of the habit as it's not good for circulation if one does it for too long.

• I remember during my daughters assessment, sitting positions were mentioned. I thought it was an odd thing to bring up, but as I thought about my daughter, she has always sat in odd ways. Always perched on the arms of a char, sitting or lying or crouching on the floor, or back on the floor, legs up on the sofa. I would always ask her if she was comfortable, and she would say of course I am lol.

As I’m writing this I am in another position lol. I think there are loads that I am unaware of. I need to make a mental note of them all now Sweat smile

• I often sit with my legs wrapped around each other or sit on one of my feet. On the sofa I also have my knees bent up with my feet flat on the edge. I’d love an office chair at work that lets you sit cross legged

• I don't sit on chairs in the "standard" way because I'm too short for my feet to reach the ground and on most chairs my back doesn't reach the backrest unless I slouch because the seat is longer than my thighs. It is painful to sit in a chair for very long, unless I have something to rest my feet on. I often carry a backpack with me for the sole reason of using it as a footstool when out in public.

I find the floor more comfortable to sit on than 99% of chairs.

I went to an event in a primary school once and was like "omg it is possible to sit in a chair and have it not be painful!" Revelatory. If I ever manage to move into my own or an unfurnished place I will only purchase children's furniture for it.

• I also have a spinal curvature, which I'm sure is a result of slouching when I was younger. If I attempt to sit or stand with a straight back (or as straight as is possible) for more than a few minutes, I find it leaves me feeling exhausted.

• If I sit on either of my sofas, it's only a matter of time before I end up fully stretched out in a lying position... unless I'm eating, in which case I'll sit up with my back against the arm of the sofa. When I used to have a three-piece suit with armchairs, I would often sit with my legs dangling over the arm of the chair, particularly when I was on the phone and capable of having lengthy conversations.

In my kitchen, I have an old antique dining table and chairs. If I have cause to sit at the table, I'll end up sitting on an office chair, as I find it a heck of a lot more comfortable than the dining chairs.

• My core strength appears to be ludicrously weak and always has been. At work, my chair reclines ore than is normal I think (I always joke it’s because I’m ‘deformed’ but really I’m just a bit round shouldered with a slightly exaggerated spinal curvature. When I’ve occasionally had to cover another desk and don’t want to mess up their chair settings, the ramrod straight or even forward leaning posture it imposes makes me feel very uncomfortable and tense, even though it’s clearly more standard. 

I can also only play piano for so long before pain builds in my diaphragm and I need a lie down. Seems without back support and a partial recline I’m just easily exhausted and prone to pain. 

• I can sit anywhere but I'll always sit on my feet for some reason. Doesn't matter where, at home, in café, car anywhere it's always the same. 

• Ummm....Buy new chairs ? 

• Just sitting here with one leg up.

Lol.

Every day I learn something new here.