Autism + ADHD combined female presentation- What's your lived experience?

Hi, 

I'm currently being assessed for Autism (I'm female and in my late 40's) and it's been suggested that I may also reach the threshold for ADHD. 

My understanding of the combined presentation of autism plus ADHD is limited at this stage.

I would love to hear from females who have this combined type, their strengths, challenges and things that they have discovered to them help manage their difficulties. 

Many thanks,

S

Parents
  • I'm AUADHD (in the process of getting meds) and was assigned female at birth. I am also probably gifted and academically smart. My age is 27 and I have one Bachelors degree in Animation. My strengths are innovative thinking; problem solving; creativity; empathy and passion to stand up for causes I believe in (minority groups, animal rights, LGBT and so on...). I also have velvety skin, popping joints and different coloured eyes. My challenges nearly evenly match my strengths: emotional dysregulation; being unable to ask for help; speech problems and sensory overload. I am a self-starter and I help myself by keeping my friendship circle small: this helps reduce the social overwhelm of having to make too many plans. Most of these friends are various people I've met at festivals or in college/uni. I met my BFF at the Prince's Trust (I highly recommend this for people like us). I also don't let myself stay inside the house too long otherwise the depression gets worse.

• I'm AUADHD (in the process of getting meds) and was assigned female at birth. I am also probably gifted and academically smart. My age is 27 and I have one Bachelors degree in Animation. My strengths are innovative thinking; problem solving; creativity; empathy and passion to stand up for causes I believe in (minority groups, animal rights, LGBT and so on...). I also have velvety skin, popping joints and different coloured eyes. My challenges nearly evenly match my strengths: emotional dysregulation; being unable to ask for help; speech problems and sensory overload. I am a self-starter and I help myself by keeping my friendship circle small: this helps reduce the social overwhelm of having to make too many plans. Most of these friends are various people I've met at festivals or in college/uni. I met my BFF at the Prince's Trust (I highly recommend this for people like us). I also don't let myself stay inside the house too long otherwise the depression gets worse.

Children