Dealing with Chavs - Deterrents/Punishments needed.

After several years of repeated harrassment from chavs including three physical assaults that the police have refused to properly investigate to imprison the perpetrators, I am at my wits end in finding a solution. How do we get police to properly treat the crimes the chavs commit against disabled people as actual crimes worth investigations that see through to the end and imprison or otherwise punish chavs to create a effective deterrent to further crimes?

Sadly it seems that after Owen Jones published his ablest scrawl "Chavs", no one dares to make chavs account for their crimes.

(For those not in the know: Chavs are uncouth, low-class-acting people, the worse of which are responsible for the deaths and murders of Fiona Pilkington, Sophie Lancaster, Christine Lakinski, Gemma Hayter, Steven Simpson and many, many other disabled/minority people. They usually hang around in large gangs, on the look out for opportunistic crimes to commit, wearing tracksuits no matter the weather or what activity they're doing. They are often drunk and use illegal drugs.)

Parents
  • Do you have specific evidence that "chavs" are the perpetrators? Hate Crime now includes sub-cultures as hate crime victims, and if I have it right Sophie Lancaster was attacked because she was a Goth. Was she attacked by Chavs per se?

I think you might be undermining your case by defining your attaclers as Chavs. You probably need to identify them as individuals.

Reason - the police may take the view that you behaved in an antagonistic way towards the people you identified as chavs from whom you got abuse.

We are caught in an era of overly political correctness, but labelling your attackers as a sub-culture puts the police in a difficult position. Especially so if you dress, due in a part way to your AS, in an unorthodox way, you might be perceived as taking sides between sub-cultures rather than being a disabled person singled out by chav-like people.

Remember the understanding police have about autism remains somewhat limited and something of a postcode lottery as well. They seem to be more attuned to stereotypes of autism and aspergers than to any real training being given. Some constabularies are well appraised, but there are still police out there who think having shifty eyes/poor eye contact identifies a criminal mind.

You may not get an immediate identification of disabled in the same way as if you were in a wheelchair.

Also there still seems to be a problem with some forces distinguishing hate crime as intention, and just Anti-Social Behaviour - some forces still shrug off a complaint as - that's just the way they behave, not anything specifically personal.

Nor I suspect do police properly appreciate that when a person with mobility difficulties, or a partially sighted person, uses the same bit of pavement as the badly-behaved people are on, and doesn't take evasive action - cross the road immediately, somehow it is their fault.

Still less will they understand a person on the spectrum may have difficulty changing pavements as well.

I don't know how you solve this. I did raise these issues with the person in charge of a police training establishmwent two years ago, to be told "we know all there is to know about autism already" - like the police would know more than anyone else?!

The police particularly do not seem to be taking autism and aspergers seriously, nothwithstanding assurances from someone with a police background on another thread recently. I'm not convinced the police have made that much progress.

• Do you have specific evidence that "chavs" are the perpetrators? Hate Crime now includes sub-cultures as hate crime victims, and if I have it right Sophie Lancaster was attacked because she was a Goth. Was she attacked by Chavs per se?

I think you might be undermining your case by defining your attaclers as Chavs. You probably need to identify them as individuals.

Reason - the police may take the view that you behaved in an antagonistic way towards the people you identified as chavs from whom you got abuse.

We are caught in an era of overly political correctness, but labelling your attackers as a sub-culture puts the police in a difficult position. Especially so if you dress, due in a part way to your AS, in an unorthodox way, you might be perceived as taking sides between sub-cultures rather than being a disabled person singled out by chav-like people.

Remember the understanding police have about autism remains somewhat limited and something of a postcode lottery as well. They seem to be more attuned to stereotypes of autism and aspergers than to any real training being given. Some constabularies are well appraised, but there are still police out there who think having shifty eyes/poor eye contact identifies a criminal mind.

You may not get an immediate identification of disabled in the same way as if you were in a wheelchair.

Also there still seems to be a problem with some forces distinguishing hate crime as intention, and just Anti-Social Behaviour - some forces still shrug off a complaint as - that's just the way they behave, not anything specifically personal.

Nor I suspect do police properly appreciate that when a person with mobility difficulties, or a partially sighted person, uses the same bit of pavement as the badly-behaved people are on, and doesn't take evasive action - cross the road immediately, somehow it is their fault.

Still less will they understand a person on the spectrum may have difficulty changing pavements as well.

I don't know how you solve this. I did raise these issues with the person in charge of a police training establishmwent two years ago, to be told "we know all there is to know about autism already" - like the police would know more than anyone else?!

The police particularly do not seem to be taking autism and aspergers seriously, nothwithstanding assurances from someone with a police background on another thread recently. I'm not convinced the police have made that much progress.

Children
No Data