I don't want to go back to work

I left my teaching job before the summer holidays due to autistic burnout and a complete and utter mental breakdown

I dont want to sit around doing nothing for ever and I want to do some work ( I need to to pay the bills and help my family as well, at least till I know what will happen with my UC and PIP) 

Im the sort of person that needs to be busy. I go into my head when Im sitting around doing nothing and start having paranoid imaginings and all sorts of mental health issues

I do freelance writing but Im not getting enough work at it to keep me busy and pay the bills so I signed up for a couple of teaching agencies thinking if I just do a couple of days a week in a school then I can cope with it. 

Heres the thing though, now its come down to it and its real I dont want to do it. I dont know if I can do it. Im remembering all the awful experiences I have had working in schools and how ill I was before the summer. I am still struggling a lot but feel I have improved a lot and slowly started to put myself back together since then and this could send me all crashing down again. Just thinking about the pressure and sensory overload of being back in a school I want to curl up on the floor again which is what I used to do every evening when I was at work. My wife would have to physically drag me off the floor to get to bed. 

Yet there is another part of me that wants to put on a tweed blazer and try and inspire kids and get teaching again. So confusing!

I wonder if theres something else I could do part time, maybe work in a bookshop or for a charity a couple of afternoons a week.

Maybe theres even something at universities? Or with animals. I dont know

Anyway anyone who has any similar experiences or been through similar stuff or has any advice would be really helpful

• aye but teaching foreign schools they dont care about qualifications. you can go to china or japan and teach english right now.... they dont care if you have no qualifications, they dont care if you cant teach, they just want you to speak english in class.

• You would probably need a TEFL qualification as a bare minimum for any school worth its salt.  

• you could also add library to your ideas if you think working in a bookshop is for you.

depending on what you used to teach you could probably list yourself as a private tutor.... language and music is good for that as alot of adults look for language and music tutors later on in life and pay for the private lessons.

• thats a good idea actually... you can teach english classes online from all over the world. literally schools in china now do online classes so you cn teach kids in china english from your home and you dont even need qualifications, i could do that too without any clue how to teach, its a recommended thing for anyone wanting a job while traveling and not having a permanent home.

• Hi, I think other people have suggested it already -but maybe teaching online would be a good compromise? My mum (who I suspect is also autistic, just not diagnosed) used to teach in primary schools (and she loved it) but she left a few years ago and after trying some different things she now gives language classes to adults but online only: 1 to 1 or in small groups. And for her this has made a huge difference- she's much happier with this arrangement and I think especially the ability to work from home is a huge plus. Especially now after Covid, teaching online is a much more feasible option. I really hope you find something that you enjoy and that doesn't burn you out in the long term!! 

• Thank you, thats good advice. I will give library work some thought, its definitely something Im interested in

• Hello, I work in a library and have done for over 20 years, I really recommend it. Part time is best, and you meet nice people. It’s quiet and calm. I have recently been diagnosed as autistic and I’m in my 50’s. Good luck and all the best.

• Look on your local council website. But keep checking. Where I work we recruit throughout the year not just at the start of the academic year.

• Ooh yes that's true. I love bookshop's if they aren't too busy, I love the calm atmosphere and the new book smell as well lol. Could just spend hours in there. If it wasn't too busy and could get my chair in there I'd love to work in a bookshop.

Aw wow that all sounds great, I like writing history as well usually articles I also did a thesis on space in my teens as well. Your writing sounds great! I do a lot of creative writing now. I also like to write about the war too. I do like to sing, makes me happy. I normally sing ballads especially love ballads.

• My experience was in Admin; and that's the environment is cope well with. However, the only jobs on offer are the Shift-Work roles, promoted by the Assembly. Which I found impossible to cope with; having only lasted three hours, into my first day, at the Covid Lab in Antrim.

I was never the same man; since. After so long trying to find work, I realised that I live in a Country where Benefits and Grants guarantee votes.

• What an interesting idea. Using my teaching gift but somewhere other than a school. I like that idea.

i have worked in an FE college for the last 3 years and certainly enjoyed it and lasted longer than in a school but it was still 16-18 year olds and football academy lads (who are the worst) so the behaviour was still an issue. In the end I burned out from the social side and the 3 and a half hours travelling every day.

Adult education though, that is something I really think I could do. I did as my first work experience and I think I could do it as a job

I like the idea of having less to process because there is no behaviour to look out for. I think having too much to process was a big part of my metldowns and burnouts as a teacher

I dont have QTS status, I was a Cover Supervisor / Cover Teacher in my previous jobs but I think i could still get a job in adult education. I will certainly give the idea some thought

As for your situation, I am sorry that your GP and other services are not helpful or understanding of autism, it is horrible when that happens. 

• That sounds good. Would I find those jobs on council websites or somewhere else?

• Yes indeed. And it can be good money, working from home.

• Thank you I will have a look at this 

• Local authorities have adult ed departments and often employ zero hours teachers. 

Also, colleges recruit direct.

There are also agencies who want tutors for adults and kids

• I do kinda get this. I sort of had a career opposite to yours... I'll try and explain. It might give you some other career ideas.

I was a trainer for many years. I feel it calling me back actually.

Training adults was great. Big social drain on the old autistic social resource...but I was good at it. All the plan and prep was in work time at least. 35 hours meant 35 hours. And when you learn one course, everything is scripted in the head to do the following week. Also, whatever the difficulties of adult learners, there is less real time information processing in the class room. No looking out for Jimmy pulling Jane 's hair while trying to lesson time and write on a wipe board simultaneously.

I have QTLS status, gained as a trainer and that qualifies me to teach in school. When I moved north I worked in a school for a while. NEVER again!!! The bells! The bells! Not only did that sound, and the super quick task switching have me in a teary puddle by the end of every day, I just couldn't keep track of everything happening around me or ever get enough time to plan adequately AND do basics - like errr eat and sleep!

I think what I am saying is, school as a teacher is an effing nightmare if you are autistic. Stay the Hell away. But, there might be some brilliant outlets for your teaching talent nonetheless.

I also tutored one on one in an FE college for dyslexic and autistic kids and loved it. I am also a good trainer of adults - and on some tough topics, too

You can yet make a career out of teaching, but school might not be the place. There is one to one tutoring through agency work, FE work with adults and corporate trainer L&D jobs.

You can inspire and make a difference - errr, but not In a school. That's enough to cause a nervous break down in many NT teachers, never mind us.

Oh God, the bells!!! The lesson changes!!! Ahhhh!

But there are other ways to teach..  think outside the box 

Me...I was going to retire, but MH, GPs and other public services haven't a clue about autism, do they?...so, think I might be spending my retirement training them for free. Lol

• I like the thought that libraries are peaceful and calm for autism. I really get that. I feel the same about bookshops too, when I am having a tough week I go and sit in a bookshop for a few hours and it really calms my head down.

I write about cricket and football mainly, I do a bit of history stuff related to it as well. What sort of writing do you do? Im glad you enjoy your singing, is there a particular sort of songs you sing?

• I hope an opportunity at Oxford comes up for you that would be fab if it did. Keep looking hopefully soon it will happen and you can look into it then. I love libraries they are so peaceful and kind for my autism, not bright lights either which is just perfect.

Singing is a huge part of my life. I don't think I could live without it. I like to write as well. I used to write a lot but now sing more. I used to do articles for a few sites which was fun. What kind of writing do you do most?

• You could also look at exam marking.  Register with one of the exam boards and you get put into a pool. It's all done online. Its not a career but could be a bit of extra money WFH. I know someone who has done it.

• Hi, from what everyone else has said, it does seem to be the environment that is too much. Have you thought about working for a tutoring company or set your own up. It’s one to one for usually no more than an hour. You can maybe do an hour on then break for an hour or two. It’s a much quieter environment and is mainly just tutoring children up to 11+. You sound like you actually enjoy teaching, it just needs to be on your terms.