Therapy

Just wondering who here is willing to say if they see a therapist/counsellor and if so, how long have they been doing so for? And how long are they likely to continue doing so? Something that was just said to me made me wonder am I being pathetic in being more than a year in to weekly sessions and feeling like several more months  at least feel needed.

• That is great to hear. If you feel getting something out,vor bouncing some concerns off another person 'might' help, I say go for it. In that instance you have nothing to lose. Good luck

• I reckon there is a right answer for each of us, except that they're all different

• I was lucky that my parents were subsidising it at that stage.

• Thanks, Luftmentsch, that helps a lot! I wish I could afford two a week. I did that once or twice when I was feeling catastrophically bad. It may be needed again, and possibly soon. But funds mean that what can't be cured must be endured.

• I've been seeing various therapists on and off for nearly twenty years, at one point with two sessions a week.  I don't think there's anything pathetic about it.

• Part of my issue is I neeed to reality-test the stuff that I obsessivley ruminate on, and who else wuold have the patience to listen. Just being in my own head, and final arbiter of how skewed or otherwise I'm being, would not - for now at least - be the best thing. I just wanted to know that I'm not alone in needing therapy in the medium to long term. Somehow that thought yesterday got me into a big panic that I was the only one on planet Earth doing so. An insane worry, but sometimes one comment is all it takes to shake my 'certainty' about things.

• I wish I could be that logical. But in fact talking therpay has kept me (barely) functional and able tow work for quite a while now. Myabe I'm just a very weak person. Or maybe we're just all different, and there's no right answer.

• I have loads of childhood trauma and abuse, not fitting in, being left after 10 year long relationship, I don't care about it anymore, it's pointless to believe it has influence over you and that you can recover from it, when there is nothing in the first place, I didn't do all those bad things, and not planning on doing them to others

• Just ongoing; via WAVE.

• I find that for me, there's a lifetime of suppressed stuff, plus the ongoing heartbreak of more recent life events, to process. Eight weeks wouldn't have scratched the surface, but it's interesting to hear your view on things as always. 

• Thank you so much for this very considered response, which has helped and reassured me more than you will ever know.

• I used it when I had what I thought was a breakdown after a breveament in 2017. Turns out it was more a lengthy meltdown, shutdown and a response to big life changes.

It did help, it stopped me when I was suicidal. But I think in the US it's more normalised to just go as part of your annual routine, so doing a bunch of sessions and then stopping is only helpful to a point. That might be helpful if you are NT.

The ND community suffer throughout life living in a world built for the majority, so the issues just keep comin! ...so too should the therapy

• I tried it once, 8 weeks, 1h session per week, it didn't feel like it helps at all, to the contrary, going again through bad memories only made reminescence more about them and made those memories stronger

• I've seen several. What happens every time is that I spend a few weeks telling them what I think it's all the relevant information and then just as I think the actual therapy part might be about to start, they say they think we've "reached a natural stopping point" or something like that and end the seasons. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. One said I "might never be ready to open up" but I'd answered every question honestly and volunteered a lot of information. I'm never aggressive or anything so I don't know why they're so keen to get rid of me.

• I think so, as long as it's useful. If a treatment - medication or therapy - isn't having the desired effect I'm happy to move on.

• Would it be yourr intention to make therapy as open endedly available as possible? I just need to not feel like a freak here in that being my need for the foreseeable 

• Ive gone private as I assumed other options would be too time limited. 

• I took up the offer of counselling from my workplace healthcare plan. They provide 4x 1hr sessions, 1 per week. Suffice to say, I didn't get much out of it and am now pursuing NHS and possibly private solutions. Is it right that you can't get counselling on the NHS? That's what my GP said.

• Anyone else? I could really do with not feeling alone here. Feeling anomalous is one of the things that can put me into a spiral, so even of there’s one other person who’s in long term therapy I’d massively appreciate them saying so. 

• Mind if I ask how long you’ve been going and are projected to?