Pets to help with loneliness

Does anybody keep pets to provide company/friendship?  I basically only have one friend outside work, who I don't get to see very often, and live hundreds of miles away from my family.  So I tend to get very lonely, especially at weekends.

I'm thinking about getting some animal company to provide a bit of company and fun around my flat, and several people have recommended rats.  It seems a good idea as they're fairly cheap to keep, small enough that I could keep two (I wouldn't want to leave one on its own all day), and apparently very tame and loving.  I could also fit a decent-sized rat cage in front of my window, which faces North so they'd get plenty of natural light but not too hot.  People who've kept them tell me that they're a bit like little dogs: a lot smarter and friendlier than their bad press suggests, and happy to cuddle in your arms while you're reading etc.

The idea of having animals (other than spiders, moths, and the occassional silverfish) in the flat would take some getting used to with my cleanliness obsession, but it does seem like something that could help.  Instead of coming home to an empty flat I'd come home to a couple of little friends.  And I could know that every single weekend I could spend as much time with good friends as I liked, albeit small and furry ones.

Does this sound realistic to those of you who keep pets or am I taking too much of a rose tinted view?

Zem :)

• Thats great Smile I bet that they will be very happy ratties and you will get a lot out of looking after them. I wish you and you two new friends all the very best Laughing

• Hi guys

I got two rats after work on Wednesday, and the cate and bits and pieces to go with them.  I checked that the cage would be big enough on an RSPCA website and brought an extra ladder to put in there for them (it already came with a litter tray, hammock, and shelf).  Of course the ladder is the only thing in there (including each other) that they don't seem interested in climbing on, and the hammock is getting gnawed rather than sat on.  They also seem to far prefer scraps of broccoli stalk or apple to the "rat treats" that the pet shop flogged me.

They've been gradually getting used to their new home and becoming more friendly, although it was interesting getting them out to clean the cage today.  It was the first time I'd picked them up as you're not supposed to handle them for the first three days while they settle in.  One was OK but the other was determined not to be caught!  Eventually I had to encourage him into a small box to take him out in.

It's going to be a challenge looking after them given my hygiene obsessions.  I was very careful about trying to keep everything off the carpet on a sheet when I was cleaning the cage.  I am very worried about them weeing and pooing on my carpet.  And of course they walk in their litter tray.  But I know that the benefits that they may offer in terms of mental health far outweigh any risk of getting ill from them.  Just getting them and watching them has been a big help this week.  In any case, loads of people have far messier pets.

Thanks again for your advice.

• Hi Zem

I know what you mean about meat I am a veggie myself Smile

You can now buy veggie food for your rats from the veggiepet.com website.

Please let us know how you get on, I think you will find getting a pet a fun and rewarding experance for you. Laughing

• Hi

Thank you both for your replies and advice.  I did some more internet research today to make sure that I have sufficient space etc. for them.  I went to another pet shop after work too and actually saw some.  They were so sweet!  I didn't handle them because they were quite shy but they came and sniffed my fingers.  Apparently they have a hard time in the pet shop because a lot of people yell in horror when they see them, and others tap on the glass :(.  

The one thing that put me off was finding out that the pellets they like to eat have meat in, and that they need the meat.  I have a very strict no-meat policy in my flat and don't like even seeing raw meat.  But I don't think the pellets (which in no way resemble meat) would be such a problem.  Learning to share my flat with them will be part of the deal anyway, and should be good for me long-term: if I can't share it with pets I'm never going to manage with a partner.

Transport permitting I'm hoping to get some soon, and they can start learning how to look after me!  I can look after myself (and things like flats and labs) OK practically, but often struggle to cope emotionally.  I get periods of feeling very anxious/isolated/depressed.  The rats will need me to look after them practically but will be able to provide much needed company and a positive, interactive thing to focus on during the difficult times.

Zem :)

• Animals definitely help! I adore my little guinea piggies! I follow someone on Youtube who has a lot of guinea pigs and rats (and up until recently two hamsters who died of old age) and they're lovely little things. I can't recommend that you get pets enough!

• Hi there

Years ago my friend had two pet rats called Itchy and scratchy. they where really clever he had tought them to use a litter tray just like a cat and they would just roam about his livingroom and itchy would come if he called him for a treat and scratchy would sit on your shoulder and chat away in your ear if you fed him peanuts. they where really clean aswell and if Andy never cleaned out their cage they would do it themselfs and cuck all their bedding out of the cage. if you are going to keep rats you must get two as they would get very lonely if left on there own and of course get two of the same gender and don't use sawdust in there cage as this can harm their skin  newspaper is better and they will rip it up themselfs and make their own bedding with it. And if you can spend about an hour a day playing with them then then will be happy. The only down side to them is that they don't live very long about a year to eighteen months but they are great fun and clean and love to interact with people by playing games and learning tricks as they are very smart. I think that they make an ideal petSmile