Apologising for behaviour?

Hi,

I’ve had a bad day and I’ve behaved appallingly today towards other people who were frustrating me to the point of meltdown. I’m in my 50’s and it’s embarrassing. 
A thought occurred to me, do we need to apologise for our behaviour? It’s kinda like apologising for having a disability, which seems wrong. 

Parents
  • You're not apologizing for who you are, you're apologizing for the impact you've had on the other person or people. ALWAYS APOLOGIZE. It's polite, kind, thoughtful, considerate of others and isn't focusing on you for once. It's taking responsibility for your actions and the fact that even though it's hard to control your actions they still cause huge trauma to those you are meant to care about. 

• You're not apologizing for who you are, you're apologizing for the impact you've had on the other person or people. ALWAYS APOLOGIZE. It's polite, kind, thoughtful, considerate of others and isn't focusing on you for once. It's taking responsibility for your actions and the fact that even though it's hard to control your actions they still cause huge trauma to those you are meant to care about. 

Children
  • I think everyone might agree it polite to apoligize.. however, your comment "Its not all about you" is a little out there isn't.. 

Okay, we are ment to apologise for meltdown and trauma it caused by others. I am for one and I may be on the ASD Spectrum but I follow that up with my Drs and trying to get a disganosis.  But you brought up a good point.  

So in 2015, I when and I will use the word Meltdown. That when into me punching a brick wall and the concrete outside, crying and shaking, all because my ex at the time was non-stop saying bad stuff about her family. Her friends, her boss, asking me to be open up to her cause I was silent and never spoke about myself, to her going into telling me to be quiet and go into her struggles and how she spoke to her therapist on the phone, to constantly telling me to get to the dr and seek mental health for myself and then tell me that I was just thinking about god damn self. 

And guess what the morning after, I said "sorry, you shouldn"t have seen that, i was stressed out and overhwelmed because you laid too much on me the past 2 wèeks".. for her to not apologise back and then lay it on me all again how bad her oarents treated her, how this one friend is that and this.. and how her boss is while at work.. 

You want to say "It's not all about yourself" that someone having a meltdown should apologise, why should we apologise for our actions if they caused it and why do we have to apoligize if they don't apologise back for creating it.  

Yes. If meltdown happens around people who didn't cause it then apologizes, i will agree on. But if they.caused it then No, i say don't apologize unless they are willing to apoligize back. 

• It's a bit of a judgement call, about how innocent the bystanders really are sometimes, but I see my own conduct in the context of "service delivery".

If/when I fail to meet my own standards, it doesn't hurt to let people know that happened, and that I'm not very pleased about it..