This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UCLA PEERS: World renowned, evidence-based social skills programme for young people with ASD.

Hi

There is an evidence based social skills programme called PEERS for people with autism to improve social skills and help to make and keep friends. I guess not many of you heard of it as there seems to be little awareness of this hidden gem. It has been described as world renowned the only evidence-based social skills programme that is available. It is developed by a researcher at UCLA and has been proven by research to significantly improve social cognition and abilities. It can be a great help for those struggling to find friendships and romantic relationships. 

www.semel.ucla.edu/peers

It's not widespread unfortunately in this country, they have only have one place running it in the UK I know of, I tried to get a local charity to implement in my town it but the application to the funding was unsuccessful. The place running it is in London someone called Lucy Brown Wright:

www.drlucybrownwright.com/services.html

However, they have an online boot-camp that can be done at home, I have downloaded the course, it costs $500, around £460 I think. It is lifetime access to this course. As I'm still trying to find a social coach who can do the course with me, I've not started it properly yet, so I can't comment on the bootcamp's efficiency but hopefully it will help those struggling. a social coach (parent, sibling, peer mentor) is imperative, ideally watch the videos together and then practice. 

https://www.semel.ucla.edu/peers/course/peers%C2%AE-virtual-boot-camps

I really think there should be more awareness regarding this PEERS programme as it seems a really good scheme. Spread the news to those who might need it. Talk to your local charities to see if they can get funding to implement it. This programme is potentially game-changing for many people. 

Thank you. 

Parents
  • Hi NAS23501,

Welcome to our community! I hope you'll find it helpful.
    I have locked this post as it breaks numbers 7 and 8 in our rules:
    Recommendations are welcome. If you’ve found a service, book, helpline, or product helpful, feel free to share. If you are using an affiliate link, please advise of this in your post or comment. We do not allow users to register an account with us primarily to advertise, or sell, products and services.
    Please do not post fundraisers to the Community. We cannot guarantee the legitimacy of these posts, which can leave the Community vulnerable to scammers and fraudulent requests. Please use alternative websites or resources if you wish to publicise a fundraiser. (updated February 2020)
    You can find our rules in full here:
    Thank you for joining our community!
    All the best,
    Eunice Mod
  • Hi NAS23501,

Welcome to our community! I hope you'll find it helpful.
    I have locked this post as it breaks numbers 7 and 8 in our rules:
    Recommendations are welcome. If you’ve found a service, book, helpline, or product helpful, feel free to share. If you are using an affiliate link, please advise of this in your post or comment. We do not allow users to register an account with us primarily to advertise, or sell, products and services.
    Please do not post fundraisers to the Community. We cannot guarantee the legitimacy of these posts, which can leave the Community vulnerable to scammers and fraudulent requests. Please use alternative websites or resources if you wish to publicise a fundraiser. (updated February 2020)
    You can find our rules in full here:
    Thank you for joining our community!
    All the best,
    Eunice Mod
Children
No Data