Sharing Special Interest

I get so mad when people disregard my special interests.

If I try to tell people or talk about my special interest and they say its bad, or they dont care, or it's not their kind of thing, I just get so so upset. To the point of feeling so angry like I just want to scream at them like you're not any better than me for not enjoying this thing.

Why can't everyone just be respectful to peoples interests and dont just disregard them and push them aside.

Also: Feel free to share your interests below!!

• Everything about singing is my special interest. Whether it’s operatic or choral singing I just love everything about it and can’t get enough of it.

• im with u harry potter by far i have felt like hogwarts is my home since i was 6 im now 15

• im with u harry potter by far i have felt like hogwarts is my home since i was 6 im now 15

• I believe he played for them from 2001-2002(ish) left to play for Kent in 2003, Middlesex in 2004, then returned to Somerset from 2005-2019, then played for Notts from 2020-2021!

I also love wildlife! I remember going to Regents Park a few years ago and had to be practically dragged away from feeding a duck with a bad leg. 

There were also HUGE swans! I love swans. I love bugs and birds and any animals really

• Really? I watched Somerset quite a few times so I might have seen him play.

Yes Erin is probably the charachter I relate to most on the show. I think she would be fun to hang out with 

• He played for Somerset for a long time and recently played for Nottinghamshire before retiring!

Dwight is absolutely on the spectrum, I always related to him! I think Erin shows lots of female autistic traits and she was another character I really related to! I like to think she is Autistic 

• Awesome! who did he play for?

Also thats a really good point, I love Erin's charachter but it never occured to me she might be autistic. Thinking about it I think you might be right

Ive always thought Dwight is definitley on the spectrum too 

• Ah that's awesome. My father has just retired from professional cricket

Also, I love the office US! I think Erin is autistic!

• I love the Irealnd cricket team. Boyd Rankin was one of my favourite players

• I was at Belfast Zoo five weeks ago, but didn't see the Hippos.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

Donemana and Magheramason are villages in Northern Ireland known for their Cricket Grounds. Will Porterfield, from Donemana, is Ireland Captain, and Boyd Rankin, who once played for England, is from Magheramason.

• I find it hard to share my special interests with people as i assume they bore them

I love The Office US and watch it all the time, I find the charachters more comforting than real people

I love German and Hungarian pop music

I love feeding the ducks and watching the hippos at the zoo

I also love cricket

Let me know if anyone shares these interests

• Some people have issues with difference.

• Agree! However I think this may be why I have very few friends. People are so far up their own to even consider anyone else's enjoyment of things!

• I agree with you. If someone says that to you then you know instantly they are not someone you'd want to share anything with.

• Personally, I think telling someone you don't care when you're telling them about something is actually a very rude and invalidating thing to say.

• My 'reading diary' for junior school was literally Harry Potter 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Harry Potter 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, on repeat for about 3 years. I used to stay up late reading the books over and over again. At break time I usually walked around by myself, imagining I was at Hogwarts with Harry, Ron and Hermione. 

I think the reason I liked it so much is that the internal logic of the Harry Potter universe makes a lot of sense. There are strict 'scientific' rules for how the magic works, more than in other fantasy universes and this makes it believable, even if you're pedantic. The main characters also have very believable personalities.

• Hi Miaxx,

I understand how it feels when our passion is not shared by other people. Why don't they get it?

But, we have to remember that the whole point of having a special interest is that it is special to us. It's something we feel passionate about. If other people also feel passionate about it then that's a bonus. It means we have someone to share our passion with.

Your special interests are special to you. If someone doesn't share our passion, then it's wrong for us to get annoyed with them.

Can you force yourself to be passionate about something?

I know I can't. And I would feel bad if someone got annoyed with me because I couldn't. 

That doesn't mean being rude, by the way. If someone tells us that it's not their kind of thing or they don't care, then that's not rude. It's just how they feel. And it's much better than them pretending and then us finding out it was a lie.

It's not doing you any good to get upset.  If possible, this is something you can work on.

• I have friends who are lovely, but I am very introverted and not that close with them, because of this I have never bothered to talk about any any of my interests.

One of them went on holiday to Japan and after hearing about it I mentioned that I would love to go, but that most japanese food contains dashi which as a vegan I wouldn't consume. She didn't know what dashi is and I was silently surprised. I had to remind myself that not everyone knows so much about japanese cuisine.

• Yeah that's the problem for me too. We share interests but if they're neurotypical, my passion for the topic is way more intense and I still feel kinda weird cause they're not sharing the same enthusiasm for it as me

• I don’t know one mans nonchalant is another’s mater of fact. Would you really prefer they pretended to be interested only to make an excuse to leave as soon as posable?