Sharing Special Interest

I get so mad when people disregard my special interests.

If I try to tell people or talk about my special interest and they say its bad, or they dont care, or it's not their kind of thing, I just get so so upset. To the point of feeling so angry like I just want to scream at them like you're not any better than me for not enjoying this thing.

Why can't everyone just be respectful to peoples interests and dont just disregard them and push them aside.

Also: Feel free to share your interests below!!

Parents
  • Hi Miaxx,

I understand how it feels when our passion is not shared by other people. Why don't they get it?

But, we have to remember that the whole point of having a special interest is that it is special to us. It's something we feel passionate about. If other people also feel passionate about it then that's a bonus. It means we have someone to share our passion with.

Your special interests are special to you. If someone doesn't share our passion, then it's wrong for us to get annoyed with them.

Can you force yourself to be passionate about something?

I know I can't. And I would feel bad if someone got annoyed with me because I couldn't. 

That doesn't mean being rude, by the way. If someone tells us that it's not their kind of thing or they don't care, then that's not rude. It's just how they feel. And it's much better than them pretending and then us finding out it was a lie.

It's not doing you any good to get upset.  If possible, this is something you can work on.

• Personally, I think telling someone you don't care when you're telling them about something is actually a very rude and invalidating thing to say.

Reply Children