job interview

hi,

I have a job interview on Tuesday for a weekend library assistant in my local library. I don't know what to expect and everything I am reading is making my anxiety worse. is it true that I have to do general chit-chat at the beginning? I don't want to be unprepared, as questions that I am not expecting cause me anxiety. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• I know my reply is a bit late, but I’d like to drop in. Don't worry, it's normal to feel anxious before a job interview. While small talk at the beginning of an interview is common, it's not always required. If it does come up, just remember to be yourself and try to relax. Remember, they want to get to know you and your personality. If you're looking to try your hand at a new profession, becoming an electrician could be a great option to explore! If this is interesting to you, check out www.electricianclasses.com/.../ for information on training programs and the ins and outs of the profession. It can be a lucrative career with opportunities for growth and advancement.

• I tend avoid saying I'm autistic till after the interview process these days usually makes it a smoother process I don't even pit it on my CV cause I've noticed the amount of rejection you get from it. But as soon as I took at off I noticed a difference. But hey as I've always said NTs tend to favour autistic women over autistic men. They see autistic women as being kind helpful and useful Autisic men they veiw as angry violent and a liability which isn't true and very unfair.

• The chit chat at the beginning of some interviews is meant to put you at your ease. A question like: 'how was your journey?,  for most NTs would relax them and make them feel at home. It's actually designed as an attempt to get the most out if a candidate.

But we, of course, don't do chit chat and don't know what to do with it. 

I'm wondering whether you disclosed autism on your application form? Can you have a word with HR beforehand. They shouldn't be scoring your performance on the chit chat bit.

• I always do myself as I'm use to being flat out rejected if you can mask your autism during the interview process I would and don't tell them your autistic until you've sacured the job and when you do say your telling them confidence so they don't spread it around the work place . And also be careful who you tell or trust at work as alot of NTs see us as a burden at work. We'll these are just my exsperiances I guess but hope it goes well try not to overthink to much either. Best advice I can give you anyway.

• Hey... Big congrats to you! Nice one. I know how stressful interviews can be, but clearly you nailed it! Grin

• Great news, congratulations!

• Hiya, yeah I did get the job and am really enjoying it. the interview was very stressful but I obviously didn't do too badly xx

• How did it go?? I hope you got the job Slight smile

• Good luck with the interview.  Agree with the others on chit chat 

• so i shouldn't worry about the chit chat then? no, i didn't disclose my autism.

• The only time I think I’ve engaged in chit chat during an interview is when my colleague went to photocopy the candidate’s ID and I was chatting with him about the fact we both wear hearing aids. I don’t every think I’ve had an interview or interviewed anyone where chit chat has been a requirement. We’re given so little time in the NHS that we just get down to the questions! I can see though that some places may use it as a kind of ice breaker to make the candidate more comfortable before starting questions though, especially if it’s a place that is quite informal. It’ll probably be things like how are you, got any plans for the rest of the day sort of questions. Have you disclosed your autism on the application?