People saying "I wish you were normal"

First time posting here so I hope I'm doing it right. 

I've noticed a lot recently when my Mum talks to others about me or my brother having Autism people will often say things like "Oh they have something wrong with them" or "If only we could give them normal brains" and I'm standing there feeling like absolute crap cause then I think "Well I'm obviously useless so what's even the point of being Autistic and being alive. Then there's the sympathetic sad looks from people and the" Oh I'm so sorry for you" comments. It just really gets me down sometimes. I'm very proud of my Autism as it makes me who I am but when I hear the comments it's like a punch in the gut. 

• If there is something I have fought against all my life, it's being 'cool'. I won't tolerate 'cool' people because they are usually prats. lol. Obsessed with appearance, image, getting social media followers. No.

• I think it basically means "socially embarrassing". Uncool, basically.

• Cringe or cringey? What on earth do they mean? That doesn't make sense to me. Very rude of them.

• i very much agree with these statements Mr Moore.

• Non-autistic and autistic people are both welcome here.  Always have been and always will be until, I guess, NAS says otherwise. 

• That's useful to know.

• I know what you mean. And well done!

I get upset when people call me "cringe" or "cringey" again and again. I find it very ableist.

• It is a safe place, the rules say; 

"The Online Community aims to allow autistic individuals, family members, friends and professionals space to support one another"

True, some do not adhere completely to the rules but most do.

• Hi Michael, thanks for the information, very interesting read. I am new here. I am in a couple, one neurotypical, the other, I believe, highly functioning autist. sad, what you say.... when you talk about neurotypical forums do you mean general forums, nothing to do with autism_ I would love to learn more about mixed couples. If what you say is true then this site is a nightmare.... I thought that it would be a safe place for those in need of support and information! 

• Hi 

you  are most welcome in this forum of fellow autistics and their carers

tell us about your hobbies and interests, and your brother

i had red eared terrapins as pets which u may be calling a 'turtle'. i had them for years i also had a tortoise. 

but hey maybe I'm wrong and u do know your turtles Slight smile

if u need help just ask

• its no superpower for me ---- i think i am the point you describe "where it's not good or bad, it just is"

• Non-autistic and autistic people are both welcome here.  Always have been and always will be until, I guess, NAS says otherwise. 

• Oh I didn't read that. Or skipped over it. I've been on so many forums I know to be polite and supportive so I assumed it was the same here Slight smile

• The rules say;

"The Online Community aims to allow autistic individuals, family members, friends and professionals space to support one another."

• I repeat: the forum is not for autistic people, but it is designed for well-intentioned neurotypicals and high-functioning Aspies. 

That's interesting, I didn't know that. The forum was recommended to me in my diagnostic paperwork so I assumed it was all ASD people here.

Thanks for all the other information as well, Michael.

• I'd really like to get to the point where it's not good or bad, it just is. I don't see why anyone should feel that having autism is a problem but I also don't get the whole 'Autism is my superpower' thing. To me it's a relief to know there is a reason why I struggle but it's less about the label and more about how I can turn to a group and say 'ok, this is what's happening, please help me to understand the way I'm seeing the world. It's helped me to learn a great deal about myself. It gives me an understanding of how I'm processing things and suggestions on how I can work around the awkward bits.

• Probably, but it certainly gets annoying to be told it over and over again. I don't care anymore though, haha!

• Tashlovesturtles,

Know and even tell them if you can that there's no such thing as wrong brains, there is no scientific basis to them whatsoever, it's all based on cultural prejudice.
    I've always known it to be this way!

"Neurodiversity is an essential form of human diversity. The idea that there is one “normal” or “healthy” type of brain or mind or one “right” style of neurocognitive functioning, is no more valid than the idea that there is one “normal” or “right” gender, race or culture.
    The classification of neurodivergence (e.g. autism, ADHD, dyslexia, bipolarity) as medical/psychiatric pathology has no valid scientific basis , and instead reflects cultural prejudice and oppresses those labeled as such."

Tell them their idea and agreement of "normal brain" is they being prejudice, and racist from a neurological perspective.
    Ask them what is their scientific basis to claim a brain is disfunctional just because it functions in a different way?

If they want to use the average excuse, tell them they'll have to tell you a scientific formula of how to determine at what measure it turns from normal to pathological, if they cannot provide you a formula that's the evidence "pathological/wrong brain" is not determined by science nor nature, it's determined by cultural prejudice which is not a scientific basis.

Which means as I've always believed, Autism, Dyslexia, ADHD, Bipolar etc. are not disabilities, are not diseases, are not mental health issues, they are just part of nature, part of our human species and evolution.

autisticuk.org/.../