Anyone Here Studied With The Open University?

Hi all.

I went to traditional brick Uni in the autumn of 2018 after passing a pre-access course and after being diagnosed with ASD at the start of 2019, I dropped out of my degree. Since then, I’ve been battling with severe depression and have always received the common comment ‘Oh, uni isn’t for everyone.’ The issue is that uni was for me, however, I hated the environment and received no support regarding my health and ASD diagnosis.

I know that I’ve already been to uni, so wouldn’t be entitled to any student finance loans yet I’ve been feeling more drawn to OU just because a family member has done multiple degree courses with them and had a positive experience. The subjects I’m thinking of are either along the lines of business management or doing an open degree since I have lots of interests and have done so from a young age. I hate exams and being unemployed with a chronic health condition means no money is coming in.

I would like to hear from anyone with autism/chronic conditions that have studied with OU. Good or bad experiences, I’m interested in hearing all perspectives! Any advice about how to potentially find someone to sponsor my studies would be great as well Slight smile

Parents
  • I REALLY want to thank you for mentioning OU, I'd never heard of it. I'm struggling with finishing the last class that wraps up in 20 days. My husband (who's ADHD) said he thought it might be bc there isn't another class after this one & that is the trouble. I thought that was interesting...so I went on OU & signed up for a class......yesterday. I was then able to shift attention back to my final class & got 2hrs+ done of my final class to graduate.

I was really impressed with how it was laid out. I don't think this class earns a badge or is towards a degree--but I learn visually & kinesthetically. I don't learn by audio and have a reading comprehension disability--but despite those, I really love to learn. The layout of this class is great, tells you have much time to devote each week and has step/by/step tasks. THANK YOU for turning my attention to this school--really helped me out & if you love to learn--I think you'd absolutely love OU. 

Reply Children
No Data