Anyone Here Studied With The Open University?

Hi all.

I went to traditional brick Uni in the autumn of 2018 after passing a pre-access course and after being diagnosed with ASD at the start of 2019, I dropped out of my degree. Since then, I’ve been battling with severe depression and have always received the common comment ‘Oh, uni isn’t for everyone.’ The issue is that uni was for me, however, I hated the environment and received no support regarding my health and ASD diagnosis.

I know that I’ve already been to uni, so wouldn’t be entitled to any student finance loans yet I’ve been feeling more drawn to OU just because a family member has done multiple degree courses with them and had a positive experience. The subjects I’m thinking of are either along the lines of business management or doing an open degree since I have lots of interests and have done so from a young age. I hate exams and being unemployed with a chronic health condition means no money is coming in.

I would like to hear from anyone with autism/chronic conditions that have studied with OU. Good or bad experiences, I’m interested in hearing all perspectives! Any advice about how to potentially find someone to sponsor my studies would be great as well Slight smile

• Even if there is a lot of information available now, it may be hard to structure that information or to select the right one for your essay. For someone, a writing assignment is an easy job, for someone not. I am from the second category, and I used to procrastinate a lot when I had to write something, till I found an essay edit online which made my life easier. The service proofreads and also edits my ideas if there is something wrong with them. Now I write the essay quicker as I know that it will be proofread by a professional before submitting it.

• I haven't studied with the OU yet but my first degree was day release so I went one day per week form work and my employer paid so the social side wasn't an issue.  My second degree was again paid by my employer and was mainly online with only having to travel to the Uni for 3 days in total over the 3 years.  i know quite a few employers do this sort of thing so if you could get into work at may be an option.

• I've done a few short courses with OU and they were great.

I also went to a traditional university, I started out well but the social side of it broke me, I didn't cope at all well. Even though I got a degree, it didn't lead anywhere as it was a bit of a Mickey Mouse subject, I only went to university to get away from home really. I think OU would be better for someone with ASD.

• I remember wondering about this in my 20's.  Is it free still?  I think i'm fairly intelligent but i still think everything else would be too much and i'd never finish.  My close ASD male friend tried two degrees and ended up having to drop out of both and he is a very literate and intelligent man.  They were at Edinburgh and Glasgow School of Art though. Rather than OU.  Some ASD people might get on better with an art degree.  That must have been his thinking. I think Art school is a little bit less high pressured environment.

• Yeah, it was hard for me to write a term paper

• I don't think I could study though open uni, someone I knew kept a UK address, so he did. Perhaps there are other things on mainland Europe, but I would want to improve on my original first degree. But my interests are a little polarised, the literary/linguistic on the one hand, the art on the other. I am most interested in getting more validation for my art. I did a crafts materials course and got a certificate at the local uni. However,  most further degrees focus mainly on business courses. And there's the cost to consider too

• Yep, I did an OU MA and a further PG Cert in the late 90s. As an expat on an entirely online course I paid pretty much full wack. i got quite a lot from it, but I sort of believe that my condition doesn't exactly make me one of the most rational people. Hence not taking it to PhD level. These days, I prefer self-ed and free courses. but I still harbour very positive thoughts about the OU, and might return one day; perhaps at BA level, as I have only an HND at that lower level. Yes, it has long been possible to leap from college diploma to university MA level; but I might one day plug that gap.

• THANK YOU! I've never received such nice feedback from people (other than hubby/mom). I am usually the cheerleader for others, but get nada.....so this REALLY means ALOT :) :)

• That's amazing! Well done, you should be really proud of yourself!

• Hey,

I did some fantastic art history courses with the OU. I have recently completed a Graduate Diploma in Law and a masters in law at a law school. They had to switch to online teaching towards the end of my second year and they really could have learned a lot from the OU. The options the OU give to do a specific degree, or an open one depending on your interests is great. The courses i did were largely online with 1 x month in person classes. I enjoyed these as I felt like I was a real student but as they were relatively infrequent there was no obligation to get involved with extracurricular stuff. 

They offer (or at least used to) installment options. Go for it.

There are also some great philanthropic groups that offer one off grants/sponsorship. I managed to get £1000 from one just by completing a fairly straightforward application form.

• I'm going to print-screenshot this & SAVE your comment. You don't know what encouragement means to me right now.

• I REALLY want to thank you for mentioning OU, I'd never heard of it. I'm struggling with finishing the last class that wraps up in 20 days. My husband (who's ADHD) said he thought it might be bc there isn't another class after this one & that is the trouble. I thought that was interesting...so I went on OU & signed up for a class......yesterday. I was then able to shift attention back to my final class & got 2hrs+ done of my final class to graduate.

I was really impressed with how it was laid out. I don't think this class earns a badge or is towards a degree--but I learn visually & kinesthetically. I don't learn by audio and have a reading comprehension disability--but despite those, I really love to learn. The layout of this class is great, tells you have much time to devote each week and has step/by/step tasks. THANK YOU for turning my attention to this school--really helped me out & if you love to learn--I think you'd absolutely love OU.