Anyone Here Studied With The Open University?

Hi all.

I went to traditional brick Uni in the autumn of 2018 after passing a pre-access course and after being diagnosed with ASD at the start of 2019, I dropped out of my degree. Since then, I’ve been battling with severe depression and have always received the common comment ‘Oh, uni isn’t for everyone.’ The issue is that uni was for me, however, I hated the environment and received no support regarding my health and ASD diagnosis.

I know that I’ve already been to uni, so wouldn’t be entitled to any student finance loans yet I’ve been feeling more drawn to OU just because a family member has done multiple degree courses with them and had a positive experience. The subjects I’m thinking of are either along the lines of business management or doing an open degree since I have lots of interests and have done so from a young age. I hate exams and being unemployed with a chronic health condition means no money is coming in.

I would like to hear from anyone with autism/chronic conditions that have studied with OU. Good or bad experiences, I’m interested in hearing all perspectives! Any advice about how to potentially find someone to sponsor my studies would be great as well Slight smile

Parents
  • I didn't thrive in education until I took online only, like the OU--I wish I had done it sooner! I have been working on my degree off/on since 2005. I didn't realize until the last two years that I was self-disciplined enough to do online only bc I always did terrible in the online offered college classes. This semester, I've finished 11 classes & will earn my degree by April-end. I HIGHLY recommend online only education. 

• That's amazing! Well done, you should be really proud of yourself!

• THANK YOU! I've never received such nice feedback from people (other than hubby/mom). I am usually the cheerleader for others, but get nada.....so this REALLY means ALOT :) :)

Reply Children
No Data