Working From Home. Is it what it's cracked-up to be ?

Hello,

Does anyone here really enjoy working from home and if so what do you do ? 

It really hit home to me, whilst out having an early morning walk today by the river, that I would be much happier working from home. I have worked a physical job most of my life and have known a change was long overdue, for years actually. I've realised this is causing me more stress than what it's worth and I'm in the process of minimising as much stress as I can, even if it may involve a loss of income. 

I've looked around at some of the most common jobs people are doing from home but don't really interest me, like corporate companies, data-entry, sales and so on. They're just not my cup of tea. I'd much more prefer to be helpful or creative or contribute something positive in some way. I'm just wondering how to go about finding work I could do from home that could be interesting or maybe even meaningful ? 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Parents
  • i love it ,   i can control my environment eg  brightness temperature and turn on music or white noise or both 

I work in IT ( software tester )  so we all took our laptops home and log into the network via a VPN  and a security key thingy so that no one can intercept our valuable data.

all meetings are via microsoft Teams  I turn off my camera for most meetings.

I work with 5 very busy developers and a project manager.

• I see this from a slightly different aspect. My wife works from home were I am retired and at home. She’s a information officer, deals with statistics, and on the fence whether it’s better at home or work. 

Being at work is better for thinking about work and putting personal stuff to the back of her mind. Being at home is better for seeing us. I can help by making tea and lunch. She’s saved a lot by not going out for lunch or buying a treat on a bad day. There’s no hour commute and she can vent work problems on me. Rather than simmer all day. She’s allowed headphones at work for music, so there is no difference there.

She also uses Microsoft teams and online applications to communicate with other colleagues all over the country.  They seem a good team. She also shuts down the laptop screen to hide. Her phone is also connected through her lap top so she doesn’t miss a call.

All in all I think she’s better of working from home, but this has put another two hundred pounds on our electricity bill. I have to remind myself not to bug her to often.

• I see this from a slightly different aspect. My wife works from home were I am retired and at home. She’s a information officer, deals with statistics, and on the fence whether it’s better at home or work. 

Being at work is better for thinking about work and putting personal stuff to the back of her mind. Being at home is better for seeing us. I can help by making tea and lunch. She’s saved a lot by not going out for lunch or buying a treat on a bad day. There’s no hour commute and she can vent work problems on me. Rather than simmer all day. She’s allowed headphones at work for music, so there is no difference there.

She also uses Microsoft teams and online applications to communicate with other colleagues all over the country.  They seem a good team. She also shuts down the laptop screen to hide. Her phone is also connected through her lap top so she doesn’t miss a call.

All in all I think she’s better of working from home, but this has put another two hundred pounds on our electricity bill. I have to remind myself not to bug her to often.

Children
No Data