AQ10 & 50 scores

Hi all,

So, I'm currently in the process of exploring that I have autism. My family and myself are 100% certain that I am and that due to my age I slipped through the education and medical cracks. I'd like to get this confirmed as I've been treated for bipolar and OCD for many years instead and it doesn't fit.

Although I suspect I'd be considered high functioning, my autism DOES affect my everyday life (quite massively) so I'd like to get it sorted.

I completed the online AQ10 and AQ50 and scored 7 and 34. Both indicating there is an issue.

Using these as screening would you say I def have grounds for looking into this further? Based on your own experiences. I just don't want to waste time and money on it.

Thanks again

Adam

• I took this test about twelve months ago and got a score of 48 out of possible 50. I've just taken it again or refresh my memory, and got a score of 42. I answered a couple of questions differently, and I'm certain I know which ones.  

I tend to have very strong interests, which I get upset about if I can’t pursue.

I often notice small sounds when others do not.

I am answering them through the lens of my current situation, post-diagnosis. And since I've been wearing earplugs for some times, I often notice small sounds when others do not, is no longer true for me. And since Lockdown, I've had so much more opportunity to pursue my interests without any interference, so I tend to have very strong interests, which I get upset about if I can’t pursue,
    is also no longer true for me at present.

AQ50 and scored 7 and 34

Please bear in mind that these tests are only tools that are used for self diagnosis. They are not a substitute for a professional medical assessment.

• I'd say it's weighing those scores against the rest of your experiences and what you're finding from your research. From memory the AQ50 is a better screening tool than the AQ10 (there's a whole academic conversation around the various cut-off and false postives/negatives) so it's pointing towards a full assessment.

I guess it depends on your reasons for wanting the assessment/diagnosis. Some are happy to self-diagnose and leave it at that. Others (myself included) find that getting professionally assessed helpful. Having the diagnosis helped me to figure myself out (I'd have just kept thinking it was my upbringing otherwise which sent me round in circles for years), explained why I find certain things so difficult at work and has given me some grounds to request adjustments from my employer.

If you're paying privately then the whole issue of finance comes into question - bearing in mind there's the possibility it might be a negative diagnosis. At the very least it'd be worth having the conversation with your GP and start the ball rolling with the NHS. That was my initial route - before work weighed in. 

• Yes, but don't prejudge based on your scores. You can score highly and not be, or low to mid twenties and still be counted. 

• the fact that your family does is a very high indicator ( to be mentioned in any assessments )  Yes you have grounds to seek a professional assessment.