This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Autism and sexual desire

I wondered wether there’s something in being on the autism spectrum and having reduced sexual desire-not come across anything in my reading yet so wondered what people’s experiences are? Oh and asking as a woman too. Thanks

Parents
  • There is conflicting research in this area. Some studies suggest autistic men are more likely to experience enhanced sexual desire compared to neurotypical men (using frequency of masterbation as a proxy for libido) and that for women sexual desire is about the same as neurotypicals but less often translates into a desire for sex. 10.31887/DCNS.2017.19.4/dschoettle Other studies suggest autistic people have on average less sexual desire but are more likely to experience the extremes of high or low sexual desire than neurotypicals. 10.1371/journal.pone.0087961

One study in particular suggests autistic men experience above neurotypical sexual desire and autistic women experience below neurotypical sexual desire 10.1007/s10803-019-04204-9 (behind a pay wall) However this study also reports that 44% of the autistic women in the study self identified as lesbian (much higher than the 1st study and higher than their neurotypical control). The mean age of participants was in the early 20s and recruitment was by internet adverts and ‘word of mouth.’ In short I’m not convinced their sample was representative.

More generally I’m really wary of past attempts to characterise autistic people as asexual. It’s been used to infantilise autistic people before. It also creates problems for autistic people who are highly sexual. People may erroneously assert ‘well you’re too sexual to be autistic.’ Or say ’you can’t be autistic people you have a girlfriend / boyfriend or because you go around having casual sex.’ etc. Autistic people are hugely diverse and the one thing I think I can assert is we often tend to gravitate to extremes. So I find the 2nd studies finding that autistic people are more likely to be much more or much less interested in sex to be the one that rings truest to me and my personal experience.

• I used to edit a magazine for alternative lifestyles - the thing I noticed with high-functioning auties and aspies is 'there are no limits'.    If you can think of it, and it's fun, and everyone enjoys the experience, then why not?    Lots of 'exploring the limits of sensation' stuff.

• I beg to differ for this autie at least.

• For me when I feel comfortable with someone I can do a lot of sexual stuff and I have a lot of sexual desire. Although I do like the idea more than the execution haha. It is different for all autistic people, im sure some of us are hypersexual etc

• Oh Wow!! Small world!!

• I used to work as an outreach worker for care leavers before I became a social worker and moved to working with adults. 

• Hi there

Because of Lockdown so all work from home. I cant manage this.

Thank you :Relaxed

• why are u the only one in your office ?  

BTW   Welcome to this forum Slight smile

• Wow!! your the 1st person who I have ever seen who has the same thoughts and feelings as myself. Sorry new to this group.

• I went & listened to this...."Night people, funky-but NEAT." Very interesting....will check out this artist. Never have heard this before.

• Ah yes, I suppose I do at least have the consolation that there will be regrets either way.  And maybe some will envy me my misspent youth.  :)   I do wish I could erase some memories though, largely of the things I can't believe I did and which, upon reflection, may have been a bizarre outcropping of an ill-fitting mask.   

• Perhaps I'm even more of an anomaly than I thought

I'm not convinced you are. There is a confirmation bias when dealing with autistic people that they are introverted and undersexed. People struggle to cope with the idea that you can be extroverted and desire social contact while not being very good at it or that you can want sex with out being very good at forming stable relationships. Of course there is something of a dichotomy of the sexes going on. I don't know if you've ever seen those youtube videos where they set up a hidden camera and have a young man or women go up and ask people if they want to have sex. Turns out about 1 in 100 women will say yes to a man who approaches them for casual sex but maybe 50% of men will say yes to a woman who approaches them for casual sex. I would say, for young women at least, good social skills are much less important for finding willing sexual partners.

I suspect most young people have regrets regarding their relationships autistic and neurotypical. Although if it's an consolation coming for a very conservative background I can tell you a youth of abstinence and chastity also comes with some regrets, life is not necessarily greener on the other side.

• Ah, I'm afraid I didn't have the substantial social relationship bit.  I was more like Saga in The Bridge, where she goes out "fishing" specifically because she wants sex.  Huge urges, need for connection, stimmy satisfaction and a release for my imagination.  Sometimes a substantial relationship developed from this but most often not.  In bed afterwards, once I felt calm and able to speak more freely, I could feel my "partner" shrinking away and thinking, "What have I done?  This woman is talking about German poetry and existentialism and I want out!"  

Perhaps I'm even more of an anomaly than I thought but I think it also has to do with an (underdeveloped?) knowledge of social norms, naivety and ignorance of possible dangers?  It all allowed me to become extremely vulnerable whilst feeling (masking) confidence and elation, which I think does link in with being autistic.        

• My early sex life was much the same. It is something I used as a bit of a superficial way to seek connection with people but obviously you need more than just sex for that. I've learned that now but to be honest I don't feel particularly connected to my husband on an emotional level most of the time. We just tolerate each other well!!! It works for us though. 

• Sex generally evolves from a substantial social relationships/events with other people over a decent amount of time in most cases,  and autistic people have severe difficulties with this so most realistically autistic people will not be having a lot of sex. If someone claims that they are going about sleeping with this person and that person etc doing all these wild things they have to have been very skilled socially (even if you throw in some basic stuff about women what the alpha etc (thats another point, how many autistic men are going to be an alpha? I mean really?)  to try and explain it away) to get those experiences and that contradicts one of the core natures of autistic people. 

Autism in women is much much less well defined and understood and women (check the history, the research historially is much much more developed and targeted towards males) generally are more experienced in sex as men want women much much more than women want men (most likely with neurotypical men who are capable of the social skill needed, or they are just so god dam sexy any red blooded woman can't help but throw their selves at the alpha and the omega :) we are all just animals at base ;)  , this might be true in some cases but that won't be an autistic male) attempting to associate some sort of liberal sexual trait to autism especially from a female autistic perspective is just pseudoscience and is really unhelpful and logically is just nonsense and inconsistent with the well established other traits in autistic people. 

• Well, one of the things that came up in my own autism assessment was that, in my late teens, early 20s, I actually found it easier to have sex with someone than to talk to them!  Of course, I did have to talk to them first, but this was helped along with frisium and alcohol.  Moreover, I think I needed and used sex as the ultimate stim!  It was sensory-seeking rather than avoiding. 

I could say more but had better refrain from giving too much detail.  However, I do think this information, along with the detail, helped towards my eventual diagnosis rather than working against it.  Believe it!  :)   

• Latex? Pvc? Leather? 

• damn shes good, well done Nigella  Reel them in.

• I relate to this alot. I hear the common categories are asexual, bi, poly for many on the spectrum according to Sarah Hendricks (great spokesperson for Natl Autistic Society)...she's got a great video on Youtube.

Do you feel like pressure/stress in your life affects this? I know I do. Or maybe you can be intimate, but your needs for this are very minimal to be happy? Maybe intimacy makes you uncomfortable/smothered? My intimacy needs/wants change & I wonder if just like going mute/shutdown...there are people who just go 'asexual' for a little while. 

• 'Night People' by John Cooper Clarke.

Reply Children