Initial assessment/screening

What was your experience like? I've got mine (unexpectedly) in 2 weeks time. Is it usually a questionnaire type process or more unstructured? Because it is over zoom-like video link rather than fave to face in person I'm unsure what to expect.

Parents
  • I had mine in December. 

2 People asking questions via Zoom, felt structured but in a friendly way. They were asking about my childhood and other experiences. I was nervous so I don't fully remember (a bit of a scatter brain when anxious), but I could talk freely.

They then disconnected me whilst they discussed it for a very short time before I reconnected and they diagnosed me. It was meant to take 90 minutes, but my was over in about half that time.

I (like everyone I expect) was very nervous beforehand, but you have no reason to be.

• Diagnosed you in the initial assessment? 

I'm not sure what to expect other than that I know they discuss support groups and reasonable adjustments after the initial assessment and decide if a full assessment is required. I assumed if I didn't need a full assessment that meant they didn't consider me autistic?

• Erm Yes.

I was surprised too, but they said I already provided them with all the information they needed. I was expecting another assessment, my parents to be contacted, but they diagnosed me there and then. They sent the report to me and my GP confirming it about 4 weeks later.

I am still awaiting a Post-Diagnosis review which is where they discuss support groups and reasonable adjustments, but I have been told that is a lengthy wait - up to 12 months again

I few people have expressed surprise that they diagnosed me there and then, as I say I wasn't expecting it, but my GP when I asked for a referral simply 'Oh, I thought you had already been diagnosed' so perhaps he had already spoke to them or perhaps I was just obvious 

• Erm Yes.

I was surprised too, but they said I already provided them with all the information they needed. I was expecting another assessment, my parents to be contacted, but they diagnosed me there and then. They sent the report to me and my GP confirming it about 4 weeks later.

I am still awaiting a Post-Diagnosis review which is where they discuss support groups and reasonable adjustments, but I have been told that is a lengthy wait - up to 12 months again

I few people have expressed surprise that they diagnosed me there and then, as I say I wasn't expecting it, but my GP when I asked for a referral simply 'Oh, I thought you had already been diagnosed' so perhaps he had already spoke to them or perhaps I was just obvious 

Children
  • I'm male, although I understand it can be harder for females to get a diagnosis I haven't had to experience it myself.

• Yes that is true. I hadn't thought of it that way but as you mention that, I have struggled all my life with anxiety and nobody has once suggested autism, but now I read about autism it seems more and more obviously to me. 

Can I ask if you identify as male or female? I am female and feel that this may contribute to why it has never been suggested about me.

• It was my local Mental health team that requested the assessment, I had to get my GP to refer me, but it was them that told me to ask for a referral.

Their opinion was I didn't respond to therapies like an NT would. So depending on the mental health illness they may be less complex to assess?

• That is really interesting to hear. I wonder if they are trying to do any assessments they can in this way because it speeds up waiting times if you don't need a further assessment? There is obviously a high demand for the services judging by waiting times, and I suppose some people are going to be more obviously autistic more than others, for example those people with mental illness history may be more complex to assess?