Initial assessment/screening

What was your experience like? I've got mine (unexpectedly) in 2 weeks time. Is it usually a questionnaire type process or more unstructured? Because it is over zoom-like video link rather than fave to face in person I'm unsure what to expect.

• Thank you, that is kind of you 

• Yeah, even though, with the emotionally-regulating mental health meds I'm on, I barely cry at all these days, I cried multiple times in the days leading up to the assessment, so I really feel for you there. It does feel like such a big thing, even though there's the possibility of asking for a 2nd opinion if you don't feel understood. All I'd say is reach out to people, and maybe also helplines about it. Feel free to continue to communicate your stresses with me, if I in any way can help at all

• I feel like a pressure cooker 

• I cried just passing my driving test so I can only imagine what being diagnosed will feel like for me. 

• Sorry - I meant social intelligence! But also, I think not knowing how you're feeling is an autistic trait.

I feel amazing, thanks. I couldn't stop thanking my assessor for diagnosing me haha

• Thank you for this feedback. I'm definitely going to take some time to properly prepare. Interesting feedback about emotional intelligence as this is something about myself that I'm not sure aligns with autism, but who knows. 

How do you feel? 

• Just had the assessment (and been diagnosed!). I was diagnosed even though I have good social imagination and scored 27/36 on an emotional intelligence test, in which you had to guess people's emotions from just a picture of their eyes - so do have hope!

It wasn't as painful as I had feared. I personally experienced the DISCO. As basic as it sounds, I would advise you to think through the diagnostic criteria and gather examples of behaviours you have which cohere with those. I know that you have probably compiled a list of reasons why you think you have autism, but the assessor will ask you questions geared towards them and you might find it hard to pluck (multiple) examples out of thin air. Plus, if they're like my assessor, they'll ask, 'is there anything else you want to discuss?', so it can help to have things at the ready. I had my laptop so that it had a split screen and had my page full of notes readily visible.

Don't be afraid to be true, authentic yourself at the risk of hurting the assessor's feelings by, i.e., not laughing at their jokes. But equally, don't worry if you end up masking, as my assessor, for one, said that she'd be able to tell if I was masking.

Wish you the best of luck with your assessment!

• How was it concluded? Did they diagnose you in that appointment or at least give you an indication? 

• I had mine back in July sometime. It seemed more like an informal one-to-one chat, and was just over the phone rather than a video call. It was fairly structured in respect to how the questions and topics were presented and didn't seem at all like a questionnaire. They did touch on points mentioned in my referral letter and the details form they sent out prior to the appointment, so if you had to do that it might be handy to have a copy of it to refer to or jog your memory if need be.

• I'm male, although I understand it can be harder for females to get a diagnosis I haven't had to experience it myself.

• I'm definitely going to organise the notes I have made about myself beforehand. I'll never be able to structure my thoughts otherwise. Good tip.

• Yes that is true. I hadn't thought of it that way but as you mention that, I have struggled all my life with anxiety and nobody has once suggested autism, but now I read about autism it seems more and more obviously to me. 

Can I ask if you identify as male or female? I am female and feel that this may contribute to why it has never been suggested about me.

• I had an initial assessment for my NHS referral...I didnt realise till the night before it was thr day after. It was on the phone. I had some notes with me which I had originally written for my GP. It wasa good job as it prompted me to talk about certain things I felt I wanted to mention which I don't think I woukd have if they hadn't asked.

I subsequently cancelled and went private as didn't want to wait for the next part. It was easier on zoom than the telephone for me. I emailed them additional notes before the assessment.

The notes helped me collect my thoughts and gave me prompts.

• Mine was a interview for about an hour (although it didn't feel like an interview, it seemed very casual) - then I was booked for a formal assessment. They'd already had a very long chat with my manager, who made the referral, about my foibles and history and knew I was over the threshold on the AQ10 after I'd screened myself so I think they were already pretty sure of which way it was going to go. 

• It was my local Mental health team that requested the assessment, I had to get my GP to refer me, but it was them that told me to ask for a referral.

Their opinion was I didn't respond to therapies like an NT would. So depending on the mental health illness they may be less complex to assess?

• That is really interesting to hear. I wonder if they are trying to do any assessments they can in this way because it speeds up waiting times if you don't need a further assessment? There is obviously a high demand for the services judging by waiting times, and I suppose some people are going to be more obviously autistic more than others, for example those people with mental illness history may be more complex to assess? 

• Erm Yes.

I was surprised too, but they said I already provided them with all the information they needed. I was expecting another assessment, my parents to be contacted, but they diagnosed me there and then. They sent the report to me and my GP confirming it about 4 weeks later.

I am still awaiting a Post-Diagnosis review which is where they discuss support groups and reasonable adjustments, but I have been told that is a lengthy wait - up to 12 months again

I few people have expressed surprise that they diagnosed me there and then, as I say I wasn't expecting it, but my GP when I asked for a referral simply 'Oh, I thought you had already been diagnosed' so perhaps he had already spoke to them or perhaps I was just obvious 

• Diagnosed you in the initial assessment? 

I'm not sure what to expect other than that I know they discuss support groups and reasonable adjustments after the initial assessment and decide if a full assessment is required. I assumed if I didn't need a full assessment that meant they didn't consider me autistic?

• I had mine in December. 

2 People asking questions via Zoom, felt structured but in a friendly way. They were asking about my childhood and other experiences. I was nervous so I don't fully remember (a bit of a scatter brain when anxious), but I could talk freely.

They then disconnected me whilst they discussed it for a very short time before I reconnected and they diagnosed me. It was meant to take 90 minutes, but my was over in about half that time.

I (like everyone I expect) was very nervous beforehand, but you have no reason to be.