If you are working, what careers are you in?

I'd like to find a job that doesn't make me constantly overstimulated, overwhelmed and fatigued, but is also intellectually challenging. I absolutely love learning. Has anyone found a role that works for them?

Parents
  • Your question is very open ended - are you arty or maths & science loving or a loner or need people around you?   Also, what qualifications have you collected or what are you aiming for?

Here is a linkthat might interest you by Temple Grandin titled "Choosing the Right Job for People with ASD":

https://www.aspergers101.com/choosing-right-job-people-autism-aspergers-syndrome/

The Temple Grandin article is absolutely correct - but it takes a very honest person to do some deep self-analysis to be honest with your strengths and weaknesses - many people delude themselves with 'dream' careers.

BTW - I'm a rocket-scientist and nuclear physicist / CEng.    Think Mr Data with a pulse.  Smiley

• but it takes a very honest person to do some deep self-analysis to be honest with your strengths and weaknesses - many people delude themselves with 'dream' careers.

True.  Apart from a run of the mill careers adviser found in schools etc who maybe don't have the time to carry out the in depth analysis, aptitude tests etc to stop someone becoming a "square peg in a round hole" in their choice of career, are you aware where people on the autistic spectrum can get such a tailered advice?  If there was such a service it would be a boon for job seekers on the spectrum, enabling them to get jobs in which they thrive.

• but it takes a very honest person to do some deep self-analysis to be honest with your strengths and weaknesses - many people delude themselves with 'dream' careers.

True.  Apart from a run of the mill careers adviser found in schools etc who maybe don't have the time to carry out the in depth analysis, aptitude tests etc to stop someone becoming a "square peg in a round hole" in their choice of career, are you aware where people on the autistic spectrum can get such a tailered advice?  If there was such a service it would be a boon for job seekers on the spectrum, enabling them to get jobs in which they thrive.

Children
  • The big problem is the job market is so complex these days.     Years ago, kids wanted to be a policeman, engine driver, shop keeper etc.    Now, there are so many job titles so when you ask most teenagers what career they want, most kids will answer "Don't know."

Also, how would you react if you wanted to be an astronaut and someone said the best you'll ever achieve is a cleaning job?