ASD and metaphor/sarcasm?

I think I am on the autism spectrum but I keep hearing/reading that people with autism struggle with understanding nuances in meaning of words or don't understand sarcasm.

As far as I can remember I didn't feel confused with sarcasm and I've learnt the art pretty well that I am known for my caustic humour. I also love poetry and verbal imagery having been an avid reader when I had more time, as a child relied on a very active imagined alternative reality to get through some school situations.

Does that exclude me from being autistic? I'm afraid of going any further if it's all just in my mind.

Parents
  • Hello DiQ

All I know is that my 17 year-old daughter has just been diagnosed with autism. She understands nuanced language, sarcasm and irony. In fact she has a fantastic use of written and spoken language, a great sense of humour and would make a great stand-up comedian if her other autistic traits didn't prevent her. Autistic or NT, everyone is an individual. There are a huge range of traits. Please have the confidence to go further. I have never heard of someone going for an assessment and being told that they aren't on the spectrum. Has anyone else here?

Good luck.

• Hello DiQ

All I know is that my 17 year-old daughter has just been diagnosed with autism. She understands nuanced language, sarcasm and irony. In fact she has a fantastic use of written and spoken language, a great sense of humour and would make a great stand-up comedian if her other autistic traits didn't prevent her. Autistic or NT, everyone is an individual. There are a huge range of traits. Please have the confidence to go further. I have never heard of someone going for an assessment and being told that they aren't on the spectrum. Has anyone else here?

Good luck.

Children