How do I encourage my partner to get things done?

I am NT and generally a very 'go getting' type, I know my partner procrastinates and I accept it however, sometimes things do need to be done.  Call the doctors or go food shopping it doesn't matter what but I don't know how to help him to get motivated.

Please help I am asking for actual ways or words as I don't want to upset him or send him into a meltdown.  I find myself getting really frustrated and I am trying meditation to help control that.

Parents
  • I do meditation  what sort do u do/trying ? it takes a while for things to improve ( for me 1 year )  but i am autistic which i believe is a big factor

• sort waiting for solution to spark in my head Stuck out tongue

meditation won't work for me, if I lower my blood pressure even more I fall asleep,

family trait - very low blood pressure

• Autistic masking is not deceit.

When he masks it's because society has taught him that his inborn autistic personality is not acceptable and he needs to change his presentation to be allowed to participate. 

Saving hard and going without for a bit, what does that mean for him? Does it impact his routine? Does he have to sacrifice purchases for his special interest? He's not being silly or immature or obstinate when he struggles to cope with having things taken away, they have a genuine impact on the autistic brain which has put these things in place to cope with demands placed on them by NTs. 

The holiday of a lifetime, have you considered what this means to an autistic person? The changes, stresses related to travel, uncertainty about not knowing the place, new routine. Expectations as this is a SPECIAL HOLIDAY and not just a normal holiday. 

You might need a bit of autistic friendly couples therapy to help you both communicate better.

• I stop when walking and freeze like a statue, and submerge myself deep in thought for various length periods of time, 

that  appears to be a autistic shutdown

Reply Children
No Data