Getting a diagnosis

Hi, I'm a 20 year old female from Wales and in the last two to three years I have been leaning more and more into the likelihood that I am autistic. BUT I have no idea what to do. I can't speak to my family about it as last time I did they were dead set on the fact that I'm not as I don't show the same signs as my brother (though my mother did once tell me that she thought I may have had it when I was younger but she wasn't sure if I was just copying his behaviour or not. I wasn't, I didn't hang around him a lot as he had really bad anger issues). I've been thinking about this for a long time, stressing myself out and getting anxious over the fact that maybe this is just all in my head or it's not as bad(?) as I'm making it out to be.

I only made up my mind to get some help with this a few days ago as I was reading a book written online and the author (an autistic female) wrote the character to be autistic and have the same mannerisms/traits as her. The further on I went the more I kept thinking 'I act exactly like this' or 'I do these things all the time'. I contacted the author and told her about my experiences, what behavioural symptoms I have etc and she told me they're the same things that she goes through too. 

Basically, I have a ton of behavioural symptoms that I wasn't aware were common (for women).

And I have no idea what to do.

I don't want to tell my family that I want to get diagnosed as I don't think they'll be supportive about it but I'm also really stuck as I have no idea how to go about getting one.

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what to do in terms of getting diagnosed. Who do I speak to?

This has been stressing me out for a long time but it's worse now more than ever as I'm in university (and I'm already struggling) and I have deadlines coming up and I just feel like it's getting a bit much. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this...

I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

• Don’t worry I feel the exact same! I thought I was the only one around this age experiencing it currently so it’s good know there’s at least one other person :)) Have a nice day! I need give myself a reminder to watch some videos later haha

• This is going to sound weird but I'm so glad there are others going through the same things as me, it validates that I'm not alone and it's not 'weird' to be experiencing what I am. These thoughts have been in the back of my head for ages and with covid and starting uni I guess it just decided to smack me in the face this time. 

Thank you for the help! I'll be sure to have a look on youtube too :)

• no problem let me know how u get on 

• Thank you so much for the help! I've been wondering about what I should do for ages and now I have a starting point. I really appreciate it

• Hi lovely! I’m from the UK and I’m experiencing something vvvvvv similar! I am 19 (female) and I spoke to my mum in January about that I thought I may be autistic (my younger brother also is so i thought she’d be quite supportive). She shut me own straight away and then all the covid stuff happened. I then went off my own back made a list of traits I related to and googled the best way to go about things which was though a GP. The last time I picked up a prescription I asked what to do and they advised calling up and asking for an appointment, which I did a few weeks ago. There’s been some complications with my referral but I am hopefully back on track! 

My best advise is to search into things as much as possible and write down what traits you relate to! I’ve also been recommended to watch youtube videos associated with female autism. I’m unsure how the process is in Wales in comparison to the area of England I’m from, but I’m 90% sure your doctors will be able to give you some information. Hope you get the path you want :))

• finally there are online autism tests.  try some to see what they indicate,,,,,, as a check --- be honest  :)

there is an overlap between these 2 sets 

read the instruction at bottom  of each tests  in this first link. it suggests another 1/2 tests 

only do i test per day.

embraceasd.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/

https://www.aspietests.org/

• make your list electronic  so you can email it to your assessor after your initial chat as a reminder of all your traits. Have a hardcopy ( printed out ) when u go to the GP  so u can read it when asked questions. 

• add to the list any relatives with autism diagnosis or adhd diagnosis or any considered eccentric or weird or different or very anti-social

below in bold. this is a very important statement  please add it to your list

"my mother did once tell me that she thought I may have had it when I was younger" 

• Thank you! I'll start making a list now

• this image from the website at the top of the image illustrates what to do. If you have any questions just reply asking. Just read Asperger's Syndrome as autism