Obsessions overwhelming

Hello, 

I thought I would reach out on here as I have always struggled with dealing with obsessions. I get an idea in my head and will research for hours about it, but I know that the obsession will be replaced by something else in a matter of time.

The obsessions consume my head a lot of the time and no matter what people say to me I can’t get the obsession out of my head. I was wondering if anyone could share how they deal with obsessions-especially ones that aren’t very realistic for example climbing Mount Everest or something like that! Is there a way of controlling /managing this?

Thank you in advance 

Parents
  • I havent really been able to stop them yet but I can now see them coming and going, so I know like you said, "oh this is just a temporary thing". I dont  have extreme ones like climbing mount everest ! thank heavens but i came close  when I completed a walk across country in dark and over a small mountain. No roads allowed. No reason, just an obsession. Arrived home both feet bleeding.

my meditation practice helps me see through thoughts now, and their tricks, so eventually I will be able to push these out. 

heres a trick to cause a gap --- say to yourself "my next thought will be ........."  feel a space ?  this should cause a small gap where you then stick something like a silly mantra eg "one","two",Three","four"   keep saying the mantra for 10 minutes  to weakening the obsession thoughts. reapeat each day against teh obsession.

they can be quite stressful when they refuse to go, especially when driving.  A walk while saying a mantra "sponge","bob",square","pants" to my walking rythmn is my next "tryout". It always clears my mind. Slight smile

• I havent really been able to stop them yet but I can now see them coming and going, so I know like you said, "oh this is just a temporary thing". I dont  have extreme ones like climbing mount everest ! thank heavens but i came close  when I completed a walk across country in dark and over a small mountain. No roads allowed. No reason, just an obsession. Arrived home both feet bleeding.

my meditation practice helps me see through thoughts now, and their tricks, so eventually I will be able to push these out. 

heres a trick to cause a gap --- say to yourself "my next thought will be ........."  feel a space ?  this should cause a small gap where you then stick something like a silly mantra eg "one","two",Three","four"   keep saying the mantra for 10 minutes  to weakening the obsession thoughts. reapeat each day against teh obsession.

they can be quite stressful when they refuse to go, especially when driving.  A walk while saying a mantra "sponge","bob",square","pants" to my walking rythmn is my next "tryout". It always clears my mind. Slight smile

Children
No Data