Difficulty getting back on here with new NAS security system

So why did NAS. Change the login arrangements. Making it complicated to get back on here.

surely they could have made it easier for the users?

anyone els e found it annoying? And loads of duplicates and awkward messaging.

nice pictures but poor funtionality and lots of grief for us users

• welcome back. you can also add an image now as well like my devil woman :)

• Good news!

After 3-4 weeks of not being able to log in and constantly going around in circles a change has been made and I'm able to log on. Hopefully this benefits other users. So if you know people who've been lost cos of this issue let them know it should be working. Whoop!

•  Sorry you're finding difficulties with links. As  says, please do post, or email community.manager@nas.org.uk, to say which links you mean, and where you find them. If in older messages here, it is possible that links could be broken. We set out to improve our advice content substantially as a major part of this change. That means extensive rewriting, and some of that content is still being added, so there are changes, and links mentioned previously here may not be the same. But feedback is really important in helping with improving our advice content.

To regain your history, you need a new sign-in for your old account. Choose the Sign Up Now button, use the same email address as in your previous account, and choose any password (same as before or a new one).

• You will need to make sure that images do not exceed 1MB in size. Large images have an impact on other users; the photography thread is an example of one with lots of images, that would be extremely slow to view if your devices had to download lots of larger pictures.

I am not able to reproduce a problem with uploading JPGs (as long as they are smaller than that limit of course). GIFs will typically be larger for the same image. Please do email community.manager@nas.org.uk with examples of any images that you cannot upload, and ask for them to be forwarded to me to investigate. Whilst you may need to use the kind of resizing service that describes, if you do not have the use of an image editor, we are trying not to make it more complex than necessary.

You could also try the sizing tool built into the uploader. I uploaded the current banner image from our home page twice. The original file is a 362KB JPG, about one third of the maximum size, and 1200*1076 pixels. I set it first to the default of 320*240 pixels, and then to half that. The resulting versions are 25 and 8KB respectively.

• aidie is correct that the sign-in system was replaced because it was running on an older system. Support ceases for these older systems in the same way as for Windows, for example, and indeed for older versions of Android and iOS on phones and mobile devices. Once support ends, new security issues that develop may not be fixed by the supplier.

To take proper care of your accounts, we need to update systems from time to time in this way. We also need to adapt to new techniques in building Web pages, which for example support accessibility better. It then becomes difficult to support the oldest browsers still in use, because these do not work with the new methods. So, for example, we are not completely supporting Internet Explorer; for similar reasons, Microsoft are strongly encouraging all Internet Explorer users to switch to Edge instead. This does not mean, however, that you need the very latest devices to visit this forum.

Changing platforms also allowed us the opportunity of adding "social sign-ins" for users of Facebook, Twitter, etc. As I have mentioned elsewhere, if you create a new sign-in using your previous email address, you should regain access to your account.

We are continuing to work on other issues.

• Regarding the 'Up or Down, Cancel and More' tabs not being present just after having posted ~ they actually were! Hay hoe! :-)

• ...This is getting VERY complicated and, I think, bad. Is this another "thing". Mr DeepThought, I wanted to reply to Your last Post, about "supersized Emojis" but I cannot, there are no buttons, even after trying "quote" and Your own "activity" upon Your Profile. There are too many... um, bugs? glitches? what is the term nowadays for someone like Myself using an OLD device in order to interact with newer Devices?

It is rather a complicated collection of bugs and glitches here definitely, and it is just astonishing how so many could have been gotten in one single forum package! ;-)

Only having old tech to interact with new tech whilst having a disability and it causing you further problems ~ might be called not having gotten a Disability Computer and Assistive Technology Grant perhaps?

I am more of the opinion though (attempt at a joke here) that this and the other technological catastrophe forum package . . . were given to us so that we as users can help identify all the glitches before the actual 'whizzo' package can go on general release! ;-)

Mr.DeepThought... what You Posted before, I hoped Mr Graham did indeed read, for it is useful yes very much. With regards to the "supersized emojis" post... I apologise for anything bad, it was not intended, and my old device has limited capabillity for "emojis", so, since I am not (any more) a programmer, I really do not know what bizarre codes-translations it might be sending or transforming things into...

Apologise not for the technological failings of this website of forums DC, for you have only helped to bring issues like the oversize emoji and loads otherwise to light.

Thanks to you rather than apologies from you are more befitting methinks. :-)

I want to vote You up but cannot now - the "more" button inteferes with screen refreshes. (I might next try a new "link" trick, but am not yet relying upon it.) THANK YOU, sincerely, for what You have said here & the pictures, defintely.

Then:

(...Oh-ho! After posting a reply to a previous post up the same "line", do the reply buttons appear for previous posts!? e.g. I can now reply and "upvote" the reply which I could not before!...

*sniffle*... )

There there there DC on the *sniffle* front. :-)

When the 'Up or Down' vote, 'Reply' and 'More' option tabs are not at the bottom of posts ~ as if we are just visiting guests rather than signed in members; I found that activating page functions that are visible like the original post 'Reply' tab and cancelling it, or using the 'View more' tab that reveals our hidden posts seemed to get the missing Up or Down' vote, 'Reply' and 'More' tabs back on the go. 

I have found on account of the text being so small in the reply box ~ that once I have posted that is when I see more of my written errors and typos with the bigger font size, but all the 'Up or Down' vote, 'Reply' and 'More' option tabs have disappeared again ~ so no editing straight away.

Normally I am so exhausted after using this system to write stuff that I have not gone through using the page functions to get the 'More' and 'Edit' options on the go, and I think it just involves some time before they come back on line again.

I will rest up some before posting this and pay more attention after tapping the 'Reply' tab.

• Um... Glad Tidings, Mr. DaveAsperg...as You began this Thread and I put a lot on it, and then You post as directly at Me, I should, um, *try* to say a bit of something... I Myself would say "3.5 to 4", upon the scale You suggest there, since the previous 2 updates...

...I have been waiting for oppertunity to say this next weird coincidence, however! Sometimes I buy a certain (paper) Magazine called "Web User": In issue 510 about 2 weeks ago, they did a little piccy of NAS' Website, and rated it 5/5! (Presumably their review did not include this "Community" part and did not use old Tablets to review it.)

...As often, I agree with Mr.Plastic and Mr.Aidie below/above. But debates fill Me with wobbly-quivery-running-away feelings... sorry. Thank You for this Thread, certainly.

• (...Oh-ho! After posting a reply to a previous post up the same "line", do the reply buttons appear for previous posts!? e.g. I can now reply and "upvote" the reply which I could not before!...

*sniffle*... ) 

• ...This is getting VERY complicated and, I think, bad. Is this another "thing". Mr DeepThought, I wanted to reply to Your last Post, about "supersized Emojis" but I cannot, there are no buttons, even after trying "quote" and Your own "activity" upon Your Profile. There are too many... um, bugs? glitches? what is the term nowadays for someone like Myself using an OLD device in order to interact with newer Devices?

I still wait for MrWebPM to see all of this, but I also can see how He - with the latest devices and/or using virtual software - might have strife in even beginning to find/see/follow *all* of what is and could be going on... !!!

Mr.DeepThought... what You Posted before, I hoped Mr Graham did indeed read, for it is useful yes very much. With regards to the "supersized emojis" post... I apologise for anything bad, it was not intended, and my old device has limited capabillity for "emojis", so, since I am not (any more) a programmer, I really do not know what bizarre codes-translations it might be sending or transforming things into...

I want to vote You up but cannot now - the "more" button inteferes with screen refreshes. (I might next try a new "link" trick, but am not yet relying upon it.) THANK YOU, sincerely, for what You have said here & the pictures, defintely.

• yes of couse, it is in their benefit because NAS have to pay for and maintain this forum. They have to keep the underlining infrastructure up-to-date in technology used  and probably for security reasons.    

• Yeah - it seems all for their benefit - the only positive I've noticed is it's MUCH faster running - no more 10-minute login waits.

• How about a rating scale 1-5. 3 is equivalent to previous,  4 mild improvement, 5 good improvement,2 a little worse, 1 much worse.

so far it seems all the changes have been for the administration benefit. Such now seems the world, that big organisations, walk over individuals.

• I had to do a screenshot job on the above quotation of your post as using quotes with 'SUPERSIZE EMOJIS' in them as pictured above do not post ~ with one of the following boxes appearing at the top right of the screen instead:

In terms of replying to you DC rather than Graham as you state ~ I was working on the basis of this column of responses being in reply 'to' Graham, and my post was as much a reply to him as everyone else effected by the image glitches here, taking into account that I was a bit psychologically seizure fragged at the time and also working in somewhat cramped and confined circumstances.

The cramped and confined circumstances being on account of myself having the website page-size at 120% scale for ease of reading, which does not quite work as the text in the reply box is still too small causing eye-strain (and is really fiddly when bold, italic and etcetera formatting text) ~ which I complained about regarding the previous forum upgrade and is just as much a problem now with the new one after a year or two, whilst the old problem of the once fixed but no longer so top-panel staying at the top of the page ~ as at my requisite page size setting the top-panel obstructs pretty much half the screen, all as pictured below:

So basically DC it was just easier for me at the time to reply to your post as it included all the technical details that needed covering contextually for everyone using this site, and your written paragraphs were large enough to work with more easily and were as such more graphically viable in terms of page set and layout.

And to the wondrous Mr WebPM ~ can the font size in the reply box be doubled to the same scale as the posted reply's font-size, can the 'SUPERSIZE EMOJI' problem be sorted out, and can the top panel be kept at the top of the page?

These problems in no way make this website of forums easy to use but instead rather difficult, stressful and considerably tiresome.

Thank the absolute and infinite for the membership here. Sparkling heart 

• Thanks D.C. Notifications seem to be intermittent as well.

I hope you are well.

• Thank You Muchly for this, Mr. Deep(Lamborghini)Thought SirSlight smile  ...yet better replied direct to Mr Graham-Slight-Return than Myself, though...

However, I should also say (for all the good it does at Mr WebPM)... I *reeealy* wanted to reply / 'vote up' Mr.DeepThought's reply, but could not after "reloads" were hidden behind the "more/show more" button... so to do so, I had to go into Mr.DeepThought's "Profile", click "activity", and then bring it *directly* back to THAT Post  up there, in order to reply & vote up!

To Mr.WebPM, I hope You read this & understand,  even as this reply is posted to Mr. DeepThought. As I say, I would like to video/photo what is going on (with the reply/vote buttons disappearing) but I cannot. (*slight sniffle...*)...

• This is a visual and descriptive start to finish guide on how to post images on this website ~ starting with a browser screenshot about to be taken of DC's post:

After copying it I then used a website link that does image data compression for website forums as follows:

https://postimages.org/

You can just use it without setting up and account, so when it is clicked or tapped this appears:

If you are using photographs or screenshots that are stored on your device ~ select the 'choose images' option to get them data compressed, or if you are using a browser screenshot as in this example ~ use the 'ctrl' and 'V' to paste the image, and you will very briefly get a data compression bar ~and then this:

Then from the selection boxes ~ click or tap the 'Direct link' URL highlighted as follows:

Use the 'ctrl' and 'C' key to copy the 'Direct link' URL code, then return here to the NAS website page and use the 'Insert' option to get this box of options to appear ~ then select 'Image/video/file' pictured as follows:

To get this box:

Use the 'ctrl' and 'V' button to paste the 'Direct link' URL code and click or tap 'OK' to get as follows:

And finally click or tap the Ok option and your screen shot will be uploaded in or as your post like the images above have been here.

• In couple weeks all be fixed.  Links are an easy fix once it is decided where the pages they link to go -- but  keep reporting stuff  DC   

Next time round maybe they should release a beta copy to you to test I could give you a hand Slight smile

• I find all the links lead to nowhere

...I am still here when this post appears! So I am curious and give a bit of (useless?) info... It is Friday, so whatever We all write here might not get a reply until Monday. Also... which "links" do You mean... unless You mean a lot of the links to NAS articles in which case then YES You are correct! (copy a few links to show what You might mean.)

... Yet another 'Issue', Whoaah...