Is an official assesment beneficial?

Hiya! 

New here, I'm Lynsey Wave tone1

So I'm 29F and thinking more and more over the years that I may be on the autistic spectrum. I've sat and compiled a list this evening so definitely thinking a lot more seriously about it. 

I guess what I'm wondering is if going through the process of an assessment is helpful. The thought of going to my GP is very overwhelming but would do it if I thought it could help.

I'm curious if anyone out there has found that it benefited them.

So the questions that I have are:

How was the assessment? Was it hard to be taken seriously as an adult?

Did the outcome make it easier to navigate life? 

Did knowing the reason for certain difficulties bring comfort/understanding? 

• as the big "what if"  will come up time and time again ,

what do you mean?

• 1  I never felt like i was being dismissed and all information was easy to understand.

2  It didn't at first , i spiralled down worse than normal  after the post diagnosis chat but now know it was the first sign i had of "the mask"

3 Yes understanding was easy but the comfort is something i am getting used to as the big "what if"  will come up time and time again ,

• Thank you for your response! That has answered a lot of my questions. I think I'm going to start putting together reasons why and barriers to build up to doing it. 

What was the assesment like? If you don't mind me asking. No worries if you don't want to go into detail!

• I can totally relate to your concerns about finding out your results. It's like looking for answers and not finding them. Hope you get your results back soon and they can help! 

• I'm so glad the diagnosis gave you understanding! Thank you for your help!

• That's amazing! Well done for doing it! "Now I know why" is the reason I want to do it to find out!

Thank you for your help! 

• I agree with all these points. Especially the one about finally confirming whether you are in the spectrum. Then you can start wasting time and look for better ways of helping yourself. Even if I will never use an official assessment for anything else than keeping it in a folder, it at least gave me closure and direction. 

• The official assessment is very beneficial. I'll offer three different reasons.

1 - You may or may not be on the spectrum. If you are, this will confirm it, but if not, it'll be an important step towards understanding what it is that's causing you problems instead

2 - When people finding out you have autism they can be dismissive. "Oh, everybody on Twitter thinks they have that." If you tell them you have an NHS diagnosed disorder they take you seriously.

3 - Right now you have a level of uncertainty. An official assessment will give you a far more informed start point for making any changes that you think might help, and will give you a whole new perspective on almost everything. That doesn't mean everything will suddenly be easier, but it should make it easier to cope when things do go wrong.

Your GP should be receptive to your concerns, especially if you help them understand the challenges you're facing and why finding out the cause will help you greatly improve your quality of life. Being an adult isn't a barrier in terms of being taken seriously, but may be a complicating factor when it comes to funding for the assessment (and particularly any subsequent professional support). My GP had to escalate to the local health authority to pay for my assessment as the only facilities were elsewhere, and it took many many months.

But the outcome has made it much easier to navigate life, and far less stress and distress since.

• Hi Lynsey, I’m a boy! Well 45 actually, but we’ll skirt around that! I am waiting for a diagnosis and hoping it will give me some answers. I have had anxiety and bouts of depression for a long time and nothing I have tried works. I think these might be what people refer to as Co morbids! I have other traits I’ve learnt are spectrum related. I’m more concerned  about having the assessment and being told I’m wrong than finding out I’m on the spectrum.

• Hi Lynsey, I'm Charla, age 23. I was diagnosed when I was still a child and I found the diagnosis offered me relief in a way as it gave me so many answers about myself like why I couldn't stand certain noises and smells or why I struggled to talk to people, etc. Before I was diagnosed I felt lost and alone in the world and now I know that I have autism and I know I'm not alone so it makes it a bit easier for me.

• Hi Lynsey I'm Juliet; got diagnosed last year aged in my sixties! I ruminated about starting the process but its a long one and now I'm at the end I'm glad I did it. Took a copy of an online test to GP for initial referral. Once in system, felt taken seriously. Now my saying this year is 'Now I know why....'. Wish you luck!