Any other teachers with Autism out there that can help me out?

I am currently finishing a teacher training secondary course (PGCE Secondary Music) in 3 weeks time and I am terrified, I want to teach music and have signed myself up to a school to get me through the NQT year in a brand new area of the UK. But I would like advice on the following. How do I and how did you cope through school? are you doing ok and any advice on ways to prevent full meltdown? is there any point teachers with autism teaching long term as we think it'll make a difference? I would like to know these things, as I do not know any other teachers with autism personally without going on international forums and getting the "every teacher is on the spectrum" speech from someone who doesn't have it here... I love to teach but I feel schools won't like me and I'm making long term plans to get out of education after NQT and into something more friendly. Or not in the UK.

Many Thanks!

• I am an autistic music teacher in a primary school. I work part time and that really helps me. I also teach piano from home (now via Skype which is v hard) I love my job as I am the only person who teaches music in my school. I plan all my own lessons and that helps me feel in control.

I taught full time for 6 years then I had a breakdown and have been teaching part time for 13 years which suits me much better. It is definitely possible to stay long term if you want to.

I have an allocated person if I feel like I am not coping and quiet space I can go tonight I need it. I have rigid rules for children's behaviour to help me stay in control. 

Make sure the school knows you are autistic as they are required to make reasonable adjustments for you.

• I'm an autistic teacher too. To get me through the days, I used to put calming essential oils on my jumper as these helped to relax me.

Like others, I started out as a regular teacher, teaching in FE. I didn't know I was autistic then but due to sensory overload I was exhausted all of the time and ended up taking a pay cut and working 30 hour weeks. At this time, I trained to be an SpLD teacher and went to work in HE where the pay and conditions were a lot better.

Now I have a greater understanding of my own needs (I'm more of a maverick type) I have decided to go off on my own and run my own courses funded by the government grants. Despite this, I'm really glad I gained a PGCE as it's open up a lot of doors for me. I'm also more content with what I have after seeing what I could have ended up with if I was more 'mainstream' - I know a lot of miserable teachers who have stuck it out as its the safe option.

There are lots of different types of teaching careers, therefore, I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself in relation to making this one option work. If school teaching works out for you, great. If it doesn't meet your needs there are lots of other options that would enable you to use the skills you've learnt.

You might find this book helpful - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F5LBSVD/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

• Hello!

I left teaching in December after being a secondary school teacher for 10 years.  I ended up spending most of my teaching career teaching SEN, primarily children on the spectrum.  There was a lot I loved about teaching - mainly the children.  However, there was plenty that I found very hard to deal with.  Schools are extremely bureaucratic and hierarchical places - this was very difficult for me as I don’t really get hierarchy and I found the bureaucracy very frustrating.  I am painfully preoccupied with efficiency and things being logical and evidenced-based - there isn’t a lot of that in schools. Things came to a head when I moved into management - I was very respected by my colleagues but the social manoeuvring required in management is simply something I am not capable of.  I had many run ins with colleagues in the management team who made decisions based on their ‘gut’ rather than on best practice.  This was particularly upsetting when it involved ‘my’ children who, being autistic, did not behave in ways that my neurotypical colleagues could/wanted to take the time to understand.  Despite these run ins, I was about to being given a promotion into senior management.  The idea filled me full of dread.  I had what I now realised was an autistic burn out and had a panic attack at school. I could not continue the way I was.  I took a £10k paycut to very regretfully leave teaching. I have not looked back.  I am MUCH happier and much more functional now working for a charity with colleagues that understand my ASD. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but that was my experience of teaching. I do not regret the years I spent because of the wonderful young people I got to work with and the impact I had on their lives, but I would not go back. 

• I'm self diagnosed but I strongly suspect I am on the spectrum. I am an adult teacher and have been since 2012. For me, I would say it takes a few years to find your feet but then it becomes really rewarding. I'm still learning after all these years.  For me, I need to make sure I have time out on my own during the day at some point, as a lot of the day involves interacting with students and colleagues. When i first started i didnt know what hit me and i wasnt aware of my own feelings, i just ploughrd on. I didnt realise when i was stressed. I'm extremely lucky to work in a good place though. Why do you think they might not like you? I think being neuro diverse and working in education goes well, as in education, there's already a culture of supporting those with needs. I also think that it makes you more understanding of those students who may have needs in your class. I know of a colleague at my place who is classroom support and is training to teach. It doesnt take as long to train to teach adults as when you do a PGCE. If its not for you, classroom support could always be an option. Talking from experience, the assistants who have been teachers themselves or are training up are always excellent.

I think there are a few more teachers on here.  I know there were a year or two ago.