Tired of feeling anxious all the time

I was recently diagnosed with Autism, then unfortunately lockdown happened so I kind of feel a bit lost.

Juts feeling anxious all the time and I hate it, I can't seem to get it under control.

Any tips on how to cope with overwhelming anxiety ?

• Hiya NA S67477

Welcome to the community.

If you have any other questions, or wanted some advice, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team. They can provide you with information and advice on your issue. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor

Also you may find this page useful for tips on how to deal with your anxiety.....

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/anxiety.aspx

I hope you find some of this of use.

Best Wishes

Lorraine Mod

• Hi. I struggle with this too. I think that it's worth trying to get help from mental health services. I had a course of cognitive behavioural therapy for anxiety and OCD, which was very helpful. I do still struggle with these, especially in times of stress (like the pandemic!), and I'm waiting on some more counselling to try and work on it again. You can usually self-refer to your local NHS mental health service. 

If you have any special interests, it might help to try and spend more time on them. For example, when I'm reading about dogs or learning French, I get really immersed in that and I find myself feeling calmer afterwards. I also find reading and playing games very helpful; it just helps me to focus on something else for a while. Even if I'm doing housework, I put a podcast or relaxing music on to help me stay calm. When I had dogs, I used to find it very calming to take them out for a walk, but I can't have pets at the moment (I'm renting).

There's no easy answer, unfortunately - sometimes, it's a case of trying a few different techniques and finding out what works for you.