Do I Give Off Signs That Neurotypicals Notice?

I think I may make neurotypical people uncomfortable even though I've seen them as a stranger for less than a minute.

I've noticed that if I'm out walking, a stranger will say hi to my wife but "ignore" me. When I'm at work, a new client will meet me and a colleague for the very first time, and immediately they'll strike up a conversation, and even when that conversation is three way, they'll keep looking at my colleague, and don't attempt to look in my direction. I'm doing my best to force eye contact, but it matters not, as they aren't even looking my way at any stage.

If I've been around someone a while I might understand, and I'd be trying to get away from the conversation, or looking down all the time, or avoiding eye contact, but this avoidance by them happens in a moment.

The other day I was parked up in the countryside. There were three cars. This couple walked past me to ask another chap for directions.

I seem to be the last person people sit next to on a bus.

And yet other people who I get to know well will say; you're autistic, I'd have never guessed.

It might be me, not them, but there's something in those split second encounters which is passing on some keep away message; whether it's my expression, or something beyond my explanation, I really don't know.

• I feel like as soon as I speak and they hear my monotone voice it makes them uncofortable/feel sorry for me

• I get this too, I think it may be something to do with the involuntary micro expressions people give off, I'm told I am rather expressionless unless I am highly amused, Or under immense stress & anxiety....... 

Mirrored sunglasses tend to help with encounters with NT's, I get friendlier encounters & it causes me less anxiety, Also I try thinking of something that makes me happy, Like the big smiles on my dogs faces when they're getting a fuss & some treats, It makes me smile naturally & NT's seem strangely drawn.....

When I have bad encounters with NT's, Rude, Abusive, Trying to take advantage, But still somehow happy with who they are & how they treat others...... These encounters remind me of a small statue my nan used to have, It had two grinning people on the top, & underneath it said "Happiness is being too stupid to know what to worry about".....

I assume NT's treat us the way they do because they don't understand how we feel compared to their own emotional understanding of the world.... My brain is looking at every situation I am in, Or am likely to be in, & examining every possible way I could best deal with that situation, & the many things that could go wrong, & Freaking out if it's a situation I haven't even thought of & can't cope, But still trying to appear normal on the outside, No help, & people being abnormally rude & resistant to helping even in official positions where they are supposed to help.....

NT's just seem to stumble stupidly through life & come out of it not just with everything they need, But also luxury homes, Nice cars, & positions of power from which they can target people like us for being different.....

But yeah, Try the glasses & a real smile (they can spot a fake smile), A bright coloured tint in the lense also makes the world look nicer & makes it easier to read.... It'll get a better response in a lot of situations, & Just say you have problems with light if anyone questions the glasses

• I doubt they really give it much thought. It's just someone they believe they can pick on, to vent some of their own insecurities, without much risk of any real consequences.

• They're probably aware that something is 'odd', but not specifically what.

• I have been told that I give off 'Vibes'.

Unfortunately the person who said it to me misinterpreted my 'vibes' most of the time and commication with him was full of mixed signals.

• I think we must have met a different set of people. I have found that most of them are relatively nice but just want to stay away from ANY trouble & an unknown quantity (such as ASD's) falls in that category. eg we're a magnet for tossers. There are also plenty of tossers too. It's the stupid ones we get to notice as they're too stupid mask themselves & like to assert themselves with violence/bullying. The really really nasty ones, who are do have brains, run the show.

• I'm really bad at spotting body language and I can spot aspies from a mile away - and if I can do it, NTs certainly can.    I think it triggers a 'beware' or 'alert' response in them so we get immediately treated dependent on their prejudices.    Same way dogs always growl at people who are afraid of dogs - they just 'know'.

• I know that. I'm 55y/o & am just starting to self diagnosing (Aspie). Do you also do room clearance? enter a room or go in a (not too crowded) pub & within 5-10 mins either the room is empty or there's a circle of empty chairs around you. My conclusion (well before I thought about ASD) was that NT's (new term to me & one I find funny) can't read me. This is the body language / no verbal communication thing. I don't know how to interpret & & pretty sure can't transmit. Some (NT) people seem more affected by this than others. I've not worked a lot with other people like in a office or anywhere, but in other situations I've had what you describe, like you're invisible.

Other observations/ conclusions are: 1) The NT's probably aren't doing this deliberately. 2) They're also probably unaware they're doing it at all. 3) For me this maybe down to masking from a very early age. I don't know how I acquired this but I've always been aware of a prime directive - reveal nothing. If people know stuff about you it will eventually be used to hurt you (emotionally). Either intentionally or through thoughtlessness. My mum said many times that she could always tell what my brother was thinking but never me.

I regard this as a thing inherent in me. It's not a case of me doing anything that says 'keep away' it's a case that I'm NOT doing normal non verbal protocols. I don't know if anything can be done to improve matters but understanding why it happens may help. Working that out did help me as I then stopped trying to 'fit in' resulting in me not stressing & I was more relaxed. Relaxed is something I'm sure NT's pick up on as a positive thing.

People not guessing you're autistic - probably means either/and/or they don't know anything about autism, only know the stereotyped behaviors, can't be bothered to find out.

As Former Memberalso says this can flag you as different & therefore a target for bullies. Though in some cases I think what passes to the victim as bullying is attempts by NT's to integrate you in to their social group. A sort of right of passage but because us ND's haven't a clue what's going on we're just damaged by it. I would stress this is only in some instances. There's plenty of other times when it's just plain burn the witch.

These are my observations over the last 50yrs though most of the realisation has been in the last 10-15. They're not proven data but as a premiss it has helped me. Hope it helps you.

• This happens to me all the time too! And always has - I thought NTs were just utter tossers but turns out that their only utter tossers to Us guys.